Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 230

John Sauser, harris, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

motor numbers VN and VIN numbers on a Caribbean
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I have been told by the Missouri Highway Patrol that if an engine is changed out on a car that was titled with the engine number in another state a new number is assigned by Missouri. For some reason, this new number cannot be the body number that is already on the car, but is randomly generated by the state. The new VIN generated by the state is then affixed to the driver's door post near the body number.

My question is will the non-original addition of this new state-generated VIN in any way affect the value of a 1954 Caribbean? (I know I am probably overly concerned about something like this, but I would like to hear any opinions.) Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/7/9 9:31
 Top  Print   

Re: motor numbers VN and VIN numbers on a Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Missouri is not the only state that does that, or has done it in the past. I can't see how a legal motor vehicle requirement of a state government can be a cause for judging deduction.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Not sure how it is in Missouri, but all you need in Kansas is a bill of sale and a HP inspection on cars made 1950 and later. They don't care too much about anything, they just make sure the numbers on the bill of sale match the numbers on the car, whichever numbers you want to use.

Incidentally, I'm going to get the tags and insurance on the '48 today, which should involve nothing more than taking the bill of sale down to the tag office and handing over some cash. I even have an original 1948 tag I'm planning on using as the tag for the car. You can do that here, but they charge you "personalized plate" prices. Ba$tards, I'm saving them money by recycling, it should be cheaper!!

Posted on: 2009/7/9 12:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Funny! It would be nice to use a year-specific plate like that. The car was purchased and titled in Kansas, but used the original engine number on the title, which is now gone. If I could get it changed to the body number in Kansas before I title it in Missouri, I would. It doesn't sem possible, though.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You need someone on the Kansas side of KC to get you a Kansas title for it then. I could do it for you, but you'd have to bring the car to Wichita so I could have the local HP officer to inspect it. If it was 1949 or earlier it wouldn't be a problem, they don't inspect them. If you know someone on the Kansas side to help you, drag the car over there and have the HP inspect it, get you a Kansas title off of the actual serial number, then you can use that to get a Missouri title. If I was closer I'd help ya!

I just remembered something that Chad (Greendragon) told me, if the car hasn't been titled in 10 years, just go to the tag office and apply for a lost title in your name, it's cheaper and if it hasn't been titled in Missouri in the last ten years you should have no problem, as they remove the records of inactive cars after ten years.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I would do one of the following:

1) buy a 1954 359 engine and go to a place like Broadway Title who will give you paperwork from Alabama that your state has to accept for application for Title, use the M6xxxxx engine number as number

2) go to a place like Broadway Title and get paperwork on it where 5478-2xxx is the new official VIN number for this vehicle

both of these would be legal

info on this place is at:
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/pricing.htm

I am not affiliated with this Title place in any way

this may cost a few hundred bucks but this is cheap compared to the decline in value of your state riveting a foriegn plate on your call will cause

Posted on: 2009/7/12 0:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Scott
See User information
Practices seem to vary, I was at my local DMV office yesterday. According to them, you could make up your own serial number in Alberta up until 1982!!

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
speedster9110 wrote: Practices seem to vary, I was at my local DMV office yesterday. According to them, you could make up your own serial number in Alberta up until 1982!!

G'day Scott,
to PackardInfo and for including your '51 Pat in the Owner Registry. In fact I need to thank you twice because there are two entries for it in the Registry! But not to worry, our fearless Webmaster BigKev will be able to remove whichever one you nominate as the duplicate when he returns from his holiday.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved