Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 196

Ozstatman, Guscha, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Chassis Identification of a 1937 senior car?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Martinez
See User information
This question pertains to 1937 senior cars.
I know how to decipher the firewall tag, and of course the engine number, I also understand about the "anti-theft number embossed on the firewall but can someone tell me if there is a number stamped on the frame somewhere that can positively identify a chassis?

It seems I remember there is another number somewhere...front frame rail, right side? The wheel base is a good start but 8's and 12's both had 139" WB models. How could one determine the chassis type of a body-less and engine-less chassis?

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable replies, --Tom

Posted on: 2009/8/21 13:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Chassis Identification of a 1937 senior car?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good question. Going out a bit on a limb here, but browsing the 37-38 shop manual there are some differences in the springs, front and rear, between 37 Super 8 and 37 Twelve, and some differences again between those in 1938 as well. Not sure you could find numbers on the front coils as they were color-coded, but rears often have a part number on them. There are also some differences in frame dimensions (aside from the obvious wheelbase issue); this info is given in the 37-38 combined shop manual. Sorry I've not scrutinized the data for exact differences, do you have the manual? If not, you should have one.

Earlier in the 30s (in the beam axle era) but not sure of the later seniors, there was a number on the frame near the left-rear front spring perch, but it was only a sequential number and as far as I know they generally ran in the same range as the motor numbers. Even if the number was found on a 1937 I don't know enough about how to decode it but if it followed the prior practice, it was not a part number.

It will be interesting to see what other information you get on this, and please keep us posted.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'm no expert, but from 50 ft away, the V-12's had 6 bolt 17" wheels/drums whereas the Super8's definitely had 16" 5 bolt wheels/drums. Many, many other chassis differences, but I would think the wheels would be a dead giveaway. Post a picture, and I guarantee you will get a definitive answer here.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, are you certain about that? I may be incorrect but I believe the 17" wheels saw their last in 1936 seniors. According again to the shop manual, both the 37 Super Eight and 12 had 16" wheels, though different widths of course. And I believe they are all 5-lug wheels.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Jump Run wrote: This question pertains to 1937 senior cars.......Tom

G'day Tom,
to PackardInfo, I'll leave it to the much more knowledgeable to answer your question. But instead will make a request of you: Could you please include your Packard/s in the Owner Registry here, together with pic/s, any known history and how you acquired it/them?

Posted on: 2009/8/21 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'll meetcha halfway Dave....yes, you are correct, both were 16" wheels beginning in 37, the V-12 being wider, but I still get credit for the 5 bolt vs. 6 bolt distinction. Parts book page 245, 338811.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Halfway is a good place to meet!

Posted on: 2009/8/21 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
First test....
If it is 5 lug wheels and wheelbase is 127"...it is a Super Eight 1003...small 5 pass sedan.

If it is 6 lug wheels and wheelbase is 134"...it is a Twelve 1023....small 5 pass sedan...(same body as 1003 but typical Twelve upholstery.

Keep Smiling...

Bob

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Martinez
See User information
Ok guys, thanks for the replies, I've deduced that I am probably looking at an authentic 1507 Twelve, it has a 139" WB, 6 lug wheels, a correct Twelve body tag, and a Twelve engine. Unfortunately the car is apart and scattered into a hundred pieces but likely the real deal.

Thanks again and Blueskies, --Tom

Posted on: 2009/8/28 1:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
If you have the body tag, here is the id info..
1032..formal sedan
1033..5 passenger sedan
1036..club sedan
1037..5 pass coupe
1038..2/4 coupe
1039..conv coupe.

I am the Roster Keeper for the '37 Seniors and would appreciate knowing what is on the tag and also the engine number

Thanks
Bob

Posted on: 2009/8/29 20:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved