Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 56 Pushbutton owners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
My 56 pat is a PB, and it seems to be working fine,so far. I drove several cars in the fifties and sixties with push button trannys. They were all from Chrysler,Plymouth,Dodge,Desota and Imperial. The only one I recall having any problems with were the Plymouths,which I have never understood why because it would seem they would all be the same since they were all from Chrysler Corp. albeit different assembly plants or small differences in installation requirements.
I recall going with a fellow Airman who was looking to buy a new 56 PLymouth or Dodge and while my buddy was driving down the hi-way at about 50 mph, the saleman told him to push the button for reverse. My buddy wouldn't push the button so the saleman took the wheel and after getting up to speed pushed the reverse button and then the drive button several times to demonstrate that it would not hurt the trans or engine. Needless to say we were both impressed, but, he bought a buick convertible instead.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
MrPushbutton wrote:.....Hey, I'll be coming to Australia in 2011 on a concert tour (my other "pushing buttons" life) depending on where you live we could have a look at her!......

John,

Good to hear you're coming to Australia. If you pass through Sydney could probably arrange for some Packards to greet you so you don't feel too withdrawn for too long. And I'm sure John(JP) would do likewise if Melbourne's also on your itinerary. Pack your PB repair tools just in case you do run across a PB equipped Packard, there aren't that many here, but they are around!

Quote:
MrPushbutton wrote: Mal,Joel--maybe we should meet in Dearborn for a dinner (and drinks!)

John posted this back in July 2007, when I was flitting through the US, might be able to catch up in 2011!

Posted on: 2009/10/19 16:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You probably know this already, but Chrysler products used wat I like to call "lawn mower cables", I think they have an actual name from the company that makes them, it is a mechanical connection from the button to the arm on the tranny. All in all a very safe way to go, and history has shown that it made more sense at the time, given how little gas station monkey mechanics understand electricity and wiring (not much has improved there in 53 years).
There might have been differences in the vendors of the cable assemblies, or the linkages at the trans selector shaft.
Chrysler intended on using their pushbutton selector assembly into infinity (or future bailout partner) but the US government put an end to that by stipulating that all autos purchased by the US government, through the GAO would have to be identical in operation for purposes of price-to-feature comparison, starting with the 1966 model year. This caused Chrysler to reluctantly give over to the standard column-mounted lever.
Bowman, are you from the south?

Posted on: 2009/10/19 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
MR. PB,
No I'm not from the south. Why, are you a southerner, originally?

Posted on: 2009/10/20 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
No, I'm not at all, but I noticed you called a certain extinct Chrysler brand "DeSota" and that is a southern thing.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 21:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes Brian, you get a prize - actually you get two. I have your address and will send the prize to the other PB owners when I get their address. I have Packards1 and some others.
It's only a $.70 prize, but I like it.
And Bowman Davis is a southena. Virginia is definitely in the south or so my cousin tells me.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
True, I do live in Virginia, but I wasn't born or raised here. I was transfered here by my employer in 1995. Since I'm writing with a southern drawl, I reckon I is one.
En ahm jist sew prowd tuh bean huh.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I do! However I have never used one. A previous owner disassembled and cut the wiring harness, leaving it unserviceable to me and my current shop setup. I look forward to using someday, hopefully after a pro can rebuild it.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:54
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

I was just kidding when I asked if there was a prize, but I do look forward to whatever it is that you have coming.

Mebbee, I should have reported three since I am thinking about converting the one Pat with manual selector to pushbutton.

Of course, there's dad's Exec still sitting out in a field and the Four Hundred parts car that have pushbutton, too!

Posted on: 2009/10/23 9:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved