Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Craig,
If I end up installing the electric bbst I'll document the process and problems.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 20:25
Jed
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
In this threadhttp://forums.aaca.org/f134/1953-packard-mayfair-272565.html on the AACA Packard Forum in Post #3 is this statement "One thing to look out for is the Bendix Treadlvac power brake system. If it decides to fail it will do so instantly with no warning, leaving you with no brakes at all. So make sure the handbrake is working perfectly.The Packard club is working on a bolt in replacement for the Treadlevac which should be available soon."

Posted on: 2009/11/24 13:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUote from above post:

"If it decides to fail it will do so instantly with no warning, leaving you with no brakes at all. "

THis falls into the "No shit Sherlock" category. AND NOONE EXPLAINS WHY!!!! There is a reason for it.

Altho i am not down on the BTV as hard as most former owners are, the fact that it can fail to a complete and total ZERO brake effect with no warning is due to its fundemental design. NO, it has nothing to do with the BTV as a single line cylinder either.

Last part of this post edited to remove mis-information obtained from above post.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 15:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Packard club is working on a bolt in replacement for the Treadlevac which should be available soon."

Regarding this statement taken from the AACA forum and repeated here, if "The Packard club" means "The Packard Club" aka PAC, PAC informs me that there is no truth to that statement. Perhaps there is some other Packard club that is undertaking this.

EDIT - or perhaps the person on AACA forum that offered the information saw the exchanges on this website and assumed that this site or the people involved represented The Packard Club.

Since only a very, very small minority of Treadle Vacs were on Packards, should any club consider taking on a project like this, perhaps it should be a multi-make club like AACA - after all they've got 10 times or more the members and resources, represent all the other makes of cars that used the unit, and are no doubt in a better position to take on the product liability issues that would be involved.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Hey all,Great info you are digging up on BTV replacements.Needed to be done. However there seems to be other Issues that may make your efforts meaning less.Read on.I hope they download.

Attach file:

jpg  (174.99 KB)
553_4b0c72640909d.jpg 1042X1280 px

jpg  (159.58 KB)
553_4b0c7278eca9a.jpg 1009X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/11/24 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
(snip) However there seems to be other Issues that may make your efforts meaning less. (snip)

<p>WRT breaking torsion bars and breaking steering components: Has anyone on this board had such an experience? I think these "issues" as posted are a red herring (def: a deliberate attempt to divert an argument). I've read about them before, but I never had these problems NOR have I ever communicated with any Packard owner who has had them. OTOH, reports of problems with BTV, including immediate catastrophic failure, are plentiful.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/24 20:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe steering knuckles are forgeings. Forgings usually will BEND a lot (wide distance) before they break.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
THe steering knuckles are forgeings. Forgings usually will BEND a lot (wide distance) before they break.

<p>Yeah, Keith, that's my point. Has ANYONE ever had one break?</p><p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved