Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Car cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I think I saw at a car show guys using window cleaner to clean exterior of the car. Is there any harm in doing that? It seems to work very well.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 9:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Car cleaner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seems like an insane idea to me.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I don't know about window cleaner, but I have seen WD-40 used. My brother and I attended a grand prix in Dallas several years ago. Tom Wakinshaw was campaigning two Audi Quattros (Heywood and Stuck driving). They could drive anywhere on the course they wanted, and easily won the race placing first and second. After the race we visited the TWR pits and saw crew members wiping down the cars with WD-40. It seemed to do a good job of removing track grime and dirt. I recently used WD-40 to wipe down my engine compartment after cleaning it. I have not tried it on the exterior sheetmetal.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 10:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I've washed cars in the garage using a spray bottle of water with a drop of car wash soap. Wet the surface one panel at a time and wipe off with a wet towel. Fold the towel to a convenient size and keep turning to a fresh surface. When the whole towel is dirty get a fresh one. 2 towels will do a car. This way there is no chance of scratching the paint.

Once the car is clean and waxed you can keep it nice looking using Pledge furniture spray and a dry cloth. Clean the car this way when it gets a little dusty.

Motorcycle dealers sell a Pledge like spray for cleaning motorcycles.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting to know what brand. Thought most glass cleaners contained ammonia. If so, isn't that used in removing wax (at least from floors). I would be a little reluctant to use on a car if it did.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
if anyody could find out what brand was used... some do contain ammonia and some do not. either way, there are products out there speciffically for washing cars, and i use them.

I use wd-40 on my chrome drum set hardware all the time, and while it doesnt reverse pitting damage, it really helps the old, rust stained and road damaged stuff look good again.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 21:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
i've been to many Import car shows when I had my "Not so Fast and Furious" Honda. I often saw the Show Car guys use glass cleaner directly on the paint right before judging to shine them up. I always had the same thought about it stripping the wax. But it did make the clear coated cars look like a mirror.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 13:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I use instant detailer at shows and between real wax jobs. I'm sure you're aware of this stuff, but could that be what you saw them use?

Posted on: 2009/11/29 14:23
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Thanks Kev-I knew I had seen that stuff at a car show!! I guess I should not use it based on the replies

Posted on: 2009/11/29 17:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved