Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 174

Ken_P, 53 Cavalier, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Total Rookie Needs Buying Decision Input - !!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most (maybe all?) Packard OEM mufflers for the in-line 8s were unrestricted, straight-thru designs. And when correct they sure have a lovely mellow tone.

Guess we've gotten a bit off-topic, I hope the thread police will be lenient. Back to the subject at hand, not that you can't find replacement 356 blocks, but I sure wouldn't want any part of a car with a known cracked block without all the assurances possible that it was properly repaired.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree with 51Packard's thought that if anything is cracked, it would be the exhaust manifold. That would be easy enough to verify upon inspection and easy to fix if you end up buying it.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:04
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I agree that a better examination of the engine should be done before moving further. The "bathtub" Customs are marvelous cars and it would be a shame to pass on it because of faulty information.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've heard it the other way around, that if you don't have manifolds on the engine you'll end up with warped valves and cracked seats. Seems like there'd be no restriction then.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i tend to take everything a PO says with a grain of salt. does the car run currently? check the fluids for cross contamination, pull the coil wire and crank the engine to listen for a weak cylender, if all checks out, run it. start it up and check the radiator for continuous bubbling. get the engine up to operating temp (allways assuming it runs right now) check the radiator again once its warm. listen for any audible skips while its running.

ask the po if it uses any coolant.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:31
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Gerd, that makes perfect sense and is the point I was getting at, too much or too little restriction is a bad thing.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Eric, I've been under the impression that running an engine without an exhaust pipe connected doesn't hurt anything until you turn the motor off. When the motor is shut down cold air will enter and tend to warp the hot exhaust valves.

Back on subject, I agree that the cracked block story sounds fishy. More likely a cracked manifold is what was meant.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
When the motor is shut down cold air will enter and tend to warp the hot exhaust valves.

Yup, that's what I heard as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Chutetogether wrote: Hi all, I am very seriously considering buying a Packard. Never owned one before. I'm looking at a '49 that has a 356 in it......Knowing these engines and working on them are not cheap!......(FYI - the balance of the car appears immaculate and I've had other questions answered by guys from the local Packard club who have been very generous with their time/knowledge).
G'day Chutetogether,
Like to add my to PackardInfo. Looks like there's already plenty of advice proffered but at the same time a few questions raised as well. Including a suggestion to have someone knowledgeable in this era of Packards have a look at the car. This is where the local Packard Club you cited may be a great source of help, after all who better than to "Ask the man who owns one"! Wish you well with your Packard purchase. And please include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it once purchased.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 0:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chutetogether
See User information
First off let me say thanks to all for the very immediate and knowledgeable input. Some really good and entertaining comments!

Unfortunately, despite Rusty O's advice to stay away from old cars and instead choose other forms of debauchery, it's too late. While I've never had a Packard I have had other old rides - currently have a '64 Ford Galaxie Convertible which is restored. But I've always wanted an older 1940's convertible and I never thought it would be a Packard, but I'm pursuing this opportunity.

So now that the option of walking away from old cars has been taken off the table, I wrote a late night email to the owner last night asking to clarify between the engine block and the exhaust manifold. This morning's reply: Manifold. (As with many of you, a cracked block just didn't make sense to me... hence the reason I wrote this forum yesterday.)

Hoping I'm not pushing my luck as I'm technically just a "Ford guy" right now... Here are two other areas I would love to receive Yoda-like input on:

In addition to questions on the engine, I inquired about the transmission and if it was rebuilt as part of the restoration. It's the Ultramatic. He stated that he rebuilt the original transmission two times and finally, on the third time around, he found a fresh 1951 transmission with all the factory kinks ironed out. Not original and 100% completely correct, but he wanted a fully restored driver and was tired of the BS concern of the trans he had. His philosophy is there's original, then there's dead by the side of the road original. His quote: "I restored it to drive, not park." Sounds plausible to me... make sense to you? (note: the car is a 23 series).

Lastly (for now!), the car is in the Los Angeles area. I live in the San Francisco area. Any good/trusted shops in LA (specifically the San Fernando Valley) to take the Packard to for given' it the one's over?

Again, thanks much and best of the new year to all!

(Last note: If I do buy the Packard, the Ford will be up for sale).

Posted on: 2009/12/31 11:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved