Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

ElGroucho, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Visit to Russpackaus
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yesterday a group of PACA (Packard Automobile Club of Australia) members visited PACA and PackardInfo member Russpackaus, or Russ as he's more commonly known. Russ is Treasurer of PACA and about a month ago underwent a operation and from which he's recovering nicely. Four of us went, Michael(PACA President), Jeff(Michael's brother in law), Wade(PackardInfo member wades_shed) and myself. We met at Michael's house and the decision was made to travel together in Michael's Ford which is air conditioned it being a very hot day. The other option was to go in Jeff's '52 200 but because of the heat and having the climb up to Valley Heights in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and which, as it turned out, would have been the better option because the Ford overheated! But putting 20/20 hindsight aside, we did make it without any real dramas except Michael learned how many Packard owners drive, that is, with one eye on the temp gauge and one on the road.

Shortly after arriving at Russ's we loaded up again in the Ford, this time with Russ and his son Daniel(on my lap) also on board. Took a short trip, about half a mile, around to see his mate and mechanic Geoff. Geoff's property is 14 acres on the side of a steep gully and he's relocating his car repair and resto' business there. The current occupant in his "temporary" workshop is a Jaguar D-Type see pic's. And there's a story about the gully there involving our young friend Mat, PackardInfo member packard34, and his '55 Caribbean. Seems some months back Mat had his Carib parked near the gully, the spare out of the boot(US=trunk) when the spare somehow started rolling and, before Mat could stop it, down it went in great leaps and bounds to the bottom. As far as we know it's still there but Geoff did say the other night there was about 2" of rain in about 15 minutes and there was a torrent of water in the gully so there is a possibility it's now in the South Pacfic heading for New Zealand! Mat currently has his '55 Caribbean and his '34 Sedan at Geoff's for repairs with the '34 much closer to completion needing, I think, only upholstery work for rodent damage before it's back on the road. The Carib on the other hand is looking much the worse for wear after it's brake failure and crash. What is interesting about the damage is that the left front suspension upright is snapped but neither the wheel or the tyre are damaged! At the moment Geoff is working on the rust repairs to the front mudguards(US=fenders UK=wings) and hasn't got to the BTV for examination or diagnosis. After afternoon tea, cakes and biscuits provided by Michael, tea and coffee by Geoff, there was further examination of some of the old tools Geoff had collected over the years as well as more examination of the Jag and the Carib along with a group pic.

Bidding Geoff farewell, being a grandfather he had a 4yo granddaughter's birthday party to attend a very very important must attend grandfatherly function, we returned to Russ's where a garage session quickly developed. Major point of interest was Russ's '56 Four Hundred and the 374, from PackardInfo member Craig, which is now partially dissembled for checks and installation of the Olds oil pump kit before being swapped into the Four Hundred for the 352 which currently powers it. And there will be a further beneficiary because the 352 will be going to PACA member Wayne to power his currently engineless Four Hundred. The other car occupying Russ's garage wasn't the '39 Limo he has, which needs restoration, but a ?28 Chev ute belonging to Geoff. The Chev is a real original survivor which runs and goes, but I'd suggest not too far.

After saying goodbye to Russ, his good wife Joanne and family it was downhill all to way to Michael's without any overheating issues this time. And a word about Michael, although President of PACA he doesn't have a Packard on the road. Michael currently has two Packards, both '51 Sedans(all you identification gurus go easy on me please), one of which he's owned for many many years while the other was bought a year or so ago just needing a little TLC to be a driver.......well that was the sellers story. But all that's about to change on Tuesday when he completes the transaction for the purchase of a '54 Convertible, probably the only one in Australia. Previously owned by a PACA member who passed away in July last year the Convertible just came on the market and Michael was lucky enough to pick it up. Here's to many mile of pleasurable Packard motoring in it. Back at Michael's after being served refreshment it was time to see his pair of '51's before everyone headed home.

Well what was going to be a short introduction to a link to the Picasa album of pic's I took of the visit to see Russ has turned in quite an epic. So here it is Visit to Russpackaus

Attach file:

jpg  (50.68 KB)
226_4b4956adb8645.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.20 KB)
226_4b4956be4797b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/1/9 23:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Visit to Russpackaus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Great pics Mal,

Sounds like you had a good day. I must admit the 55 has seen better days. Though day by day she'll get better. I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the 34 again. I should get back into doing waights again to prepare myself for driving it home lol but that is correct, basically we just need to repair the upholstery, put a new kit through the carburetor, & fix a problem with the headlight blowing fuses. So not much more... Almost forgot, I also need to clean my shed so there's somewhere for the 34 to stay

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2010/1/9 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
There is a pristine 54 convertible in SA.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 0:02
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:......a '54 Convertible, probably the only one in Australia.......
Quote:
Appin wrote:
There is a pristine 54 convertible in SA.
John,

You're right of course, looking in the PACA Registry I see there is a '54 Caribbean in SA. And there might have been at least one more 'cause, if I remember correctly, Pepe had a pair of front quarter convertible windows for sale at the swap meet at Berrima last year.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 1:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Mal,

I do recall there is a 54 listed in S.A. but is actually a 55 model Caribbean. I have a picture somewhere of it that I got from Wade. From memory its red color three tone. (like my 55)
I'll see if I can dig the image out ... now where did I put it...

Posted on: 2010/1/10 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Here it is

Attach file:

jpg  (88.86 KB)
775_4b497ce27c3cf.jpg 1280X817 px

Posted on: 2010/1/10 2:08
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Mal wrote Quote:
Major point of interest was Russ's '56 Four Hundred and the 374, from PackardInfo member Craig, which is now partially dissembled for checks and installation of the Olds oil pump kit before being swapped into the Four Hundred for the 352 which currently powers it.

<p>Thanks for posting a description of this trip! It was a pleasure meeting Russ, Joanne and Daniel last February when they traveled from Aus to USA to pick up the 374 at my place in Pahrump, NV. I think there may have been some vacationing going on also as justification for the trip. I'm glad to learn that the 374 made it to Russ' garage safe and sound. May he and family have many miles of safe, pleasurable Packard motoring with it. </p>
<p>Edit: I did see the album and Russ' smiling face inspecting a 374 piston and rod! Thanks for the call out.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/10 3:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thats a nice car but not the car I was thinking of, I believe the car is owned by Brian Brady of S.A, i'll have a look tonight or tomorrow and see if I can dig the picture out

Posted on: 2010/1/10 21:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved