Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 19 »

Re: Keegan's 55 Clipper Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this blog rocks!

Posted on: 2010/2/22 0:08
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Rocker Panel #2

Just a repeat of the drivers side.

I still need to trim the excess sheet metal from the bottom. That's where the inner panel extends below the outer panel.

I'll be going back to grind down the welds later. It's a nice activity for when you want to let the mind wander.

I also patched a hole in the floor that I didn't take a picture of. It was right where the rear seat locating tab was located on the drivers side. I'll have to remember to put that tab back.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.41 KB)
550_4b89ad560a119.jpg 1003X667 px

jpg  (94.35 KB)
550_4b89ad5f71b7b.jpg 1280X851 px

jpg  (90.78 KB)
550_4b89ad67d08a0.jpg 1003X667 px

Posted on: 2010/2/27 18:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thats a very common place for the 51-56 Bodies to rust out. My car has the came problem there.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 19:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Working on the rot issues with the front door posts. This is the passenger side. By far the worst of the two needing repair.

Started with a paper template and cut a patch from some sheet. Got it tacked in a couple of places and just worked it into shape with some body hammers and some heat from the torch where necessary. It was easy to use clamps through the door hinge openings as well.

Hopefully you'll never notice it once the doors and fenders are back on. I still need to do some additional welding and blending but it's mostly there.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.75 KB)
550_4b9544749cb26.jpg 1024X680 px

jpg  (64.82 KB)
550_4b95447b48882.jpg 1024X680 px

Posted on: 2010/3/8 13:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

proofyeq
See User information
It doesn't look like it, but I was curious as to whether you needed to weld supports for removing the body(to keep it from bending), or do 4 doors not need them. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Keegan,

Maybe you need to tell the folks about the trick rotisserie you built. It's very impressive.

(And I first thought you cooked chicken on a rotisserie--not Packards. Was I wrong!)

Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would think if you were removing the body from the frame, and then going to cut significant portions of the floor away you would want to have the body braced in someway to keep it everything in place. I believe that Keegan welded the body to a jig before he started the floor work.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 12:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
'sup Keegan?

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Haven't posted in a while. My shop has been really busy for the last month. I haven't touched the Clipper since my last post.

In regards to bracing the body... if you were to mount the body on a typical rotisserie where it basically holds the body on the firewall and the trunk area, then yes, you would probably need some bracing when you took the doors out and cut out the floor.

My set up is a little different. The body actually sits on it like the frame of the car. I can add more or less support as needed under the car as I'm working on different sections.

Also, I never cut the entire floor out. I attacked it one section at a time. This (I hope) helps keep the integrity of the body shell while still allowing me to repair the areas that need it.

I guess we'll see how it fits when the body meets the frame again. At the pace I'm moving, we may never know.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Keegan,

Glad to hear your business is going strong. What else can you do unless someone starts paying you to pound on vintage tin?

Maybe at "the pace" you're moving now it'll take a while longer, but you can't keep up the kind of breakneck speed you going at forever. Life intervenes. It would be cool to see a few shots of how your Packard is hooked up to your purpose-built... exoskeleton? The rotisserie is an intricate piece of workmanship in itself.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 21:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved