Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Wheel Bearing repacking_39 _120
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
Do I have to pull the axles to repack the rear wheel bearings on my 39 120 ?

I have pulled the drums and need a step by step on repacking the rear bearings.

Lowell

Posted on: 2010/1/9 0:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing repacking_39 _120
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Might look at my thread here.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3589&forum=1&post_id=37579#forumpost37579

In my case, the tow truck driver took the brakes apart, but I don't think you have to do that. I assume the 39 Junior will have one bearing like mine.

Remove the bolts in the center ....4 or 5 I don't remember. You will need to back them up to unbolt. There are gaskets to replace and maybe some shims. KEEP TRACK OF WHERE THEY GO. Take the bearing plate off and you will see the bearing.

The axle will slide out with minor persuasion. Press off the bearing with a press, clean and repack and go back on as it went off. You can get gaskets from the usual suspects but they are easy to cut.

If you don't have access to a press, I suppose you could simply clean it and repack it with it still on the axle if the bearing feels ok.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 4:22
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
No shortcuts here. I have looked in various manuals for the rear hub and bearing details but PERHAPS EVERYONE KNEW THE details of working on those tapered axles. Maybe not as my nut came loose by using a large C clamp, as I did not have the proper socket at the time. So much for the 225'# torque requirement.
I have no press so I'll give lubing the bearing on the shaft a try.

I think your broken axle (and many others) may have been such a maladjustment.

While I had the borrowed dog bone puller, I tried to pull the other hub but I could not back off the brake shoes. The previous "restorer" had installed the star adjuster backwards and I could not reach the star through the backing plate adjustment slot. If I did not have the proper puller, I could have torn the shoes up.

Yor tip on the gasket materials was good for I am so far from the shop.

Maybe Big Kiev would consider starting a library on our site of scanned gaskets for common repairs. One could simply print them out and apply to locally obtained gasket material and not have to wait for a shipment from distant suppliers.
Many times you do not realize if you will need a gasket till you start a repair or the gasket is torn up..

Thanks again,

[

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
Axle out and bearing repacked. Does this rear bearing get any lubrication from the differential?

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an inner oil seal, the bearing and then the outer seal, so I would think very little differential oil would get to the bearing if the inner seal is doing it's job.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is probably no need to remove the bearing from the axle shaft. Remove the axle from the differential housing. Clean the bearing and the bearing race thoroughly to remove all the old grease and oil. Inspect the bearing and its race. Replace BOTH if there is any wear on either the bearing or the race. You will need to press the old bearing off and the new bearing on. Repack the old or new bearing with wheel bearing grease. Now is a good time to replace the inner and outer oil/grease seals. Good luck and let us know how you make out on this job.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/14 11:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
I have taken the axle down again as there was no inner bearing seals and you fellows have convinced me there should be.

1. The missing inner seal must be different (smaller) than the outer.
2. If anyone has the Timpkin # for the inner seal for 39_120,I can get it locally. Have a local show in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Lowell

Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Inner, 323135 = 410190
Outer,324961 = 473473

Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved