Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 183

Packard Don, packardbill, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Caribbean carpet
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Is there a place to check the proper color for carpet? I had always supposed that the carpet in a Gulf Green w/ Sahara Sand 54 Caribbean was Green. However, I have just been told it was Black. Does anyone know where I could verify this? Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 9:28
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Caribbean carpet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Only way I know to determine that with absolute certainty is to examine an unrestored car in the same color scheme, or speak with someone who personally restored one and who recalls or might have saved the original carpet.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 10:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bob
See User information
1954 Caribbean
My original, unrestored green / white 32,000 mile Caribbean has green carpet.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
lstelling -

You didn't specifically tell us the interior color combination (or trim set number) of your car, but perhaps it is green and white leather (set 82) - since you were expecting green carpet.

Surprisingly, the 48-54 parts books (available here, at P'Info, for downloading) doesn't show colors or trim set numbers for front or rear floor carpet assemblies (Grs. 31.417 and 31.418) or even the bottom dash panel (Gr. 31.4175) for the 1954 Caribbean (5478), but merely advises (at the top of each application listing) to "Specify Trim Set No." when ordering.

However, if you dig a little further through the Body Trim section, into "Bulk Trim Stock" listings, you'll find binding material listed, on pg. 584 (Gr. 31.4652), which was used to finish the edge of the carpet assemblies. If you continue to pg. 585, you'll find P/Ns listed for models including 5478, with corresponding trim set numbers and color specified. Unless Packard used contrast color binding on a black carpet, I would think that the binding color would be the same as the carpet. (Though not specified, I strongly suspect that P/N 429788 is black.)

Yet, further down the page, you'll find bulk carpet material listed (Gr. 31.468), and if you continue to pg. 586, you'll find carpet material listed for 5478 in four colors: green, blue, black, and red.

I'd go with the carpet color specified for the trim set number.

Mind you, I'm no expert on '54 Caribbeans, and would defer to more detailed factual evidence that anyone else can provide.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Unfortunately, the paint and interior codes from the glove box are gone. We have determined by checking the underside of the seats and area that did not get repainted that the car was Gulf Green and Sahara Sand, but the carpet is now gone and can't be examined.

Thank you everyone. Your responses are very helpful!

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:14
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Aren't the paint and trim codes given on the VN tag? If those spaces are blank, the car may have had non-standard paint and/or trim. Those occasional cars that can be authenticated or at least reasonably verified with non-standard paint and/or trim often do not have the paint and trim codes identified on the VN tag.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 10:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, 1954 just had the small stainless (one year only) tag that only had the VN on it. The trim and paint codes were on a small sticker on the side of the glovebox.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.86 KB)
1_4c22cec456643.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2010/6/23 22:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Right you are Dave. The 56 Pat I just bought has no trim code because it must have been special ordered. Note that the paint code "JN" has been stamped twice.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.92 KB)
23_4c22d72acdf0d.jpg 560X504 px

Posted on: 2010/6/23 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
yours should indeed have green carpet, as mentioned the 54 vin plate did not have color code inked on it

Posted on: 2010/6/23 23:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
lstelling -

While the '55 and '56 showroom albums reveal which interior trim sets were normally available for each exterior color combination, by model, we don't (yet) have a '54 showroom album, here, to guide us further.

However, I'd venture a guess that a '54 Caribbean produced with Gulf Green and Sahara Sand two-tone exterior colors would have allowed for a choice of either black/white or green/white interior trim.

In lieu of the paint/trim sticker, telltale clues as to the original interior colors must still exist somewhere inside the car. Carpet color should follow, logically, from that.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 9:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved