Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

jimw, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Am I crazy? no one wants this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
From the same book,

A 55 BelAir sedan in #3 condition, $9900. So yes if it was a Chev it would be worth more on the open market.

A 1955 Chev BelAir convertible in #1 condition is worth $97000.

A 55 Corvette (also a Chevrolet)V8 convertible with optional hardtop, in #1 condition, $137,000.

So, the Packard is quite a bargain. If that's the sort of bargain you are looking for.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
A car is only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Granted, I am just a novice, but comparing the potential ROI, and just plain coolness factor, any reasonable 50s car is dollar for dollar miles ahead of anything new.

I am just stunned that 15,000 has been deemed ludicris. But, I suppose that that is why I read here. A penny saved is a better Packard in the future. For now, at least I know that they are out there to be had!!

Posted on: 2010/7/21 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
IMHO, better a relatively obscure Packard (or any marque) than a downright common-and-can-be-seen-anywhere Chev, Ford etc.

I'm not saying I dislike a '55 Chev etc - I love them. But some cars are getting a little ho-hum, and might be as common as buttocks, so give me something a little rarer and unusual. And especially when said car has been bought at a bargain price and not an extremely high price.

I'm not biased, and so I drool over Hudsons, Cadillacs, Fords, Chevs etc and many other marques, but there are some really rare and interesting head-turners that have the allure, and many Packards fall into that category. And because there aren't squillions of them around, that adds interest for me.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so for me it's not what someone paid for a 'beautiful' Chev or Ford etc, but the interest the car generates and the effort and care that I sense was expended in the presentation / restoration of it.

How impressive when some restorer discovers a pile of rust that used to be a car, and years later has a show-stopper he made out of that same heap of rusty remnants!

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"I am just stunned that 15,000 has been deemed ludicris. But, I suppose that that is why I read here. A penny saved is a better Packard in the future. For now, at least I know that they are out there to be had!!"

I am happy for you, that you are so rich $15000 for a hobby car is nothing.

For me that is a lot of dough. Even the book value of $8100 seems overpriced for a mid fifties Clipper 4 door.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
2 different conversations at a car show:

#1 "which car is yours??"
"the 57 chevy"

"which one?"
"the blue convertible"

"which one?"
"the one with the fenders skirts"

"which one?"
"the one with the spinner wheels covers"

"which one?"
"the one without the fuelie"

"which one?"
"the one with the fuzzy dice"
by the time the trophies are given out they still
have not figured out which 57 chebbie they are
talking about

#2 "Which car is yours?"
"the Packard"

"ohhh yeah that is one gorgeous car.

car show entry $20
57 chevy cost bought or restored $50,000

having the only Packard at a show

PRICELESS

Posted on: 2010/7/22 11:13
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
As someone who recently bought a Packard (last spring, after two years of looking) can I make a couple of observations?

Ebay is the price setter, not price guide books or Uncle Bob.

I found three kinds of sellers:

The proud owner who knows what his car is worth and won't sell for less. He will not look up which cars have actually sold, and for what. He will allow you to purchase his car at his price. Such cars appear over and over on ebay, yet few owners get the message.

Speculators who may or may not know what they have but whose price defies any logic. Dealers with decent cars, scroungers with rust bombs. Such cars appear over and over on ebay, yet few of those owners get the message.

And on rare occasions, people who are actually trying to sell their car. I bought mine from such a person and the experience was as good as it possibly could be.

I was particular amazed at the cars that needed significant repairs to be runnable--yet which the owners thought were just as valuable as a good running car. The southwest car that only needed a wiring harness (maybe--it wasn't running), legions of cars with missing parts that needed significant chrome or paint plus mechanical work for running money: the list is endless.

Ultimately, most cars are only worth what someone will pay for them.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 22:57
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Patgreen, that is truly well put. I think in many cases people see auctions via cable TV and get the 49er gold rush fever thinking they have struck it rich because they just saw a 55 fill in the blank convertible or factory high performance car sell for $150,000 and therefore their 1955 fill in the blank sedan with base engine is worth the same. Their not, and not just in the case of Packard's.

A friend of the family has a 69 mustang coupe she bought new. It is a very nice car. It's a 302 automatic with sparse options. A good value when new. She saw an auction for a 69 coupe with an R code engine option and 4spd, same color even. She felt that if that car went for $58,000 restored, then her car must be worth at least $40,000... heck, that car was standard shift and her car had the optional automatic. I have never had the heart to explain the real deal to her. In this case, she means well, just doesn't know better.

I think the main thing to remember in this thread is that comparing apples to apples is very important. I would not hesitate to put a 55 Caribbean convertible against a 55 Chevy convertible value for value. Same goes for equal four door sedans, or any other body style.

I would recommend buying the car you are interested in be it a four door, two door, wagon, or whatever. Being price conscious is important, no one wants to be buried alive in a car, but remember, these are for our enjoyment. I am normally ok with paying a bit above what I feel is market value for something that is well preserved and taken care of.

The very best of luck in your search Ray,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/24 0:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well said Jim!

Posted on: 2010/7/24 11:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gizmolannigan
See User information
Thats Why Im Here I want to learn the real value of these cars.

I don't know much about packards but I can tell they are what Im looking for. A good classic with style and origanality also a realistic price range.

Im not going for the bellybutton car I want a PACKARD.

But first I will learn all I can.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 15:12
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luke 14:28

Same for restoring cars too...
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved