Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

Alvin14, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Historical License Plates
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Here's something that I learned this week which may be old news to everyone else. Georgia permits the use of authentic, original license plates as the main plate on an historical vehicle. My brother had given me a 1940 Georgia plate, so today I went to the tag office to see what needed to be done.

It couldn't have been easier. There was no charge and the 1940 plate now adorns the back of my car instead of the front. It is now the "official tag" for my Packard although I am required to have the standard tag available for inspection if asked. The tag office recommended keeping it in the trunk or under the seat. A paper form is also issued by the tag office verifying the permissive use of the original.

Do other states permit this?

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Posted on: 2010/9/10 22:54
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Historical License Plates
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In Calif they refer to it as YOM (Year of Manufacturer) plate. The hard part in Calif is finding two original matching plates of the correct year, and the number on the plate must not currently be in use by a modern plate. I believe you pay an annual fee similar to a vanity plate.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 23:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New York State has allowed YOM plates for some years now.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 6:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
The State of Ohio permits model year plates to be cross-registered with standard historical tags. One form and a photostat of the model year plates are all you need. The best part is that the historical tags are a permanent registration requiring only a one-time fee.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though New Jersey still does not permit YOM plates, they have eliminated the need on historic registration for the front tag, and it's only a one-time fee for historic plates, no renewal costs.

PS - something got lost here; Pat, we still have to obtain a historic registration and a set of special license plates, but only have to use the rear plate, and only have to pay the first year.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Illinois is similar. No registration required; just find plates and bolt em on....

Posted on: 2010/9/11 15:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nicely done fellas!

Here in Arizona you can bolt it on and pay the usual fees............BUT........one must also put those pesky yearly expiration tabs on the upper corners too! That spoils my fun so to speak, so I purchased a personalized plate instead. For car shows, I plan on placing the black & white original (restored) 1954 Arizona plate, with its proper 1955 bolt on aluminum tag onto the 400. Neat that we each have some flexibility.

Attach file:

jpg  (175.73 KB)
20_4c8c0ceecaa74.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (210.19 KB)
20_4c8c0d1049839.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/11 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Texas goes two ways on license plates for vintage vehicles.

For vehicles 25 years or older a Historic Vehicle plate can be purchased for $35 and it good for up to 5 years. These plates all expire at the same time. Current expiration is March 2013. These are single plates for rear only. Inspections are waived. Mileage is limited in purpose and distance to keep owners from using them on their daily drivers. I have Historic Vehicle plates on my Packards.

Owners of vintage vehicles can use YOM plates appropriate for the year of the vehicle. I believe the cost of using these plates is the same as a vanity plate (regular registration cost plus) and must be renewed each year. I believe vehicles with YOM plates are subject to the same requirement as vehicles with regular license plates. Number on YOM plate must not be one that is currently in use. Not absolutely sure about all this as I have not gone this route.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/12 11:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kansas is easy, YOM plates are charged the same as a personalized plate, only have to buy one for as long as you own the car, don't have to renew, and mileage is unlimited. You can use it as a daily driver no matter how old it is.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 12:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved