Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 171

BigKev, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New member looking at 1941 110 Coupe
Just popping in
Just popping in

GregN
See User information
Hi all! I'm new here, but not new to the old car world. I've had a few old Fords and a Pontiac in the past/present, but have always wanted to get out of the main stream with a Packard. I especially like the look and lines of the pre-war models.

I'm in the Air Force, and spending time in Southern California for some training and have run across a 1941 Model 110 coupe that I have been eyeing and talking to the owner for a week or so. Now, I'm needing some thoughts from the experts! It's in decent shape, mostly complete. The engine is out of a '49 Chrysler (Spitfire 6), so I'd have to find an original Packard 6 sometime. It has rust at the back of the trunk and where the front fenders meet the body below the door hinges. The doors both currently sag, but I'm not sure if it is a hinge problem or something else. It runs and drives (although the trans is stuck in neutral at the moment) and could use a paint job. Front grill needs help and the edges of the fenders and body have filler on them, but I don't see any rot or damage from the back side. Interior is nice except under windows.

Does this sound like a reasonable project, given what it is and availability of parts, etc? I can pick it up for around $3000. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  (38.18 KB)
3042_4c8e853e2f2d0.jpg 479X563 px

Posted on: 2010/9/13 10:15
 Top  Print   

Re: New member looking at 1941 110 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the non original motor at 3000 is a turn off for me....imho.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 11:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

GregN wrote:
Hi all! I'm new here, but not new to the old car world. I've had a few old Fords and a Pontiac in the past/present, but have always wanted to get out of the main stream with a Packard. I especially like the look and lines of the pre-war models........have run across a 1941 Model 110 coupe......
G'day Greg,
to PackardInfo. From your description the Coupe certainly "needs work" as the saying goes. But depending on your commitment, resources and abilities, and you having had other older cars certainly gives an indication it would be doable. Of course I am biased, owning a '41 120 Coupe myself!

And a request, if you purchase the Coupe and become a proud Packard owner, could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/13 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

johnpoly
See User information
You say that the trans is stuck in neutral. A common problem with these Packards was (& is) the trans locking up. Open the drivers side hood and see if the forward linkage to the trans is in a down position. If it is simply pull up on the linkage and set it even with the other linkage. Slow shifting will help prevent this problem. I have a '40 which does this sometimes if I shift too fast.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 16:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GregN
See User information
You can bet if I pull the trigger on this one, I'll get her registered right away! Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks also for the tranny tip, I'm going to give this a try today and see if I can take it down the road a short distance to get the feel of driving it. Yes, it bothers me that it's not the original engine, but I'm sure there is someone hotrodding a 110 out there that has an original engine to discard that I can get...I won't let that stop me. However, I will be another member of the purist club, so I'll have lots of questions to make this one correct again! I can already tell the original color was blue.

Thanks again for the tips!
Greg

Posted on: 2010/9/14 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if the engine is not right, how do we know the trans is original....could be a none Packard related reason why it is stuck.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 11:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Sounds like a good buy to me...original engine/tranny or not, but I'd offer him $2500.
That is a sweet model when finished correctly. It should not be too hard to find a 6 for it, and equipted with an overdrive, it'll go zoom.....!

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:10
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GregN
See User information
Thanks for all the tips! It helps...

Ok, so another newbie question. There is also a 1940 Packard 110 Sedan nearby that has a freshly rebuilt original engine (at $5000), new brakes, new clutch, nice original wheels, decent chrome and interior. Needs paint and I'm not sure what else until I go see it this weekend. Asking price is $7200. Is the '41 coupe that much more desirable that IF money wasn't a factor (I wish!) the coupe is worth picking up with all it needs over $4000 more into a much farther along sedan? The coupe has a great look to it, and would be fun to drive! The sedan, however, is much farther along and in better shape. Any comments from you prewar guys??

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2010/9/16 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
If you pick up an engin for the coupe and then have to rebuild it, you be better off with the sedan though I would prefer the coupe.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
From my perspective Coupes always have had greater appeal than Sedans so, with money not being a consideration, the Coupe is the clear winner. But from the monetary, mechanical and finishing aspects the '40 110 Sedan appears a better proposition. However I'd still take the Coupe!

Posted on: 2010/9/17 2:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved