Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 89 90 91 (92) 93 94 95 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, please let me add my congratulations too. There is nothing like being able to clean out a garage that has been full for so long. Great job!

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/10 22:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
pepepackard,
Well done Kev, I found my 54 clipper a bit savage on the brakes when I changes the booster, just a matter odf adjusting your drining to suit the car.
Regards Pepe

Posted on: 2010/10/11 3:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
What a great feeling it is to take a car (that most people would walk away from) and bring it back to life !
What a fantastic job your doing ! Congtats on the car!And a big thank you! For having the knowledge , guts and patience to build such a great website for all of us to enjoy.And for having the guts and patience for putting another great Packard back on the road. Not easy to do while raising a family and a 9 to 5.
My hats off to you Sir !
Thank you Kevin.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Kev,
Congratulations! You have robbed a car from the crusher and have resurrected it (and are resurrecting it) from the dead! What a special feeling it must be for you to finally drive that Packard on the road after so much hard work!
Ken

Posted on: 2010/10/11 11:48
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hearty congrats and well done. The fun is just beginning. I'm a little surprised that the steering is heavy and the brakes fuzzy. With radials they usually steer light and the pedal should be quite firm. Maybe your kingpin thrust bearings are stopped up with fossilized grease. Try warming them gently with a torch and while still hot grease the bejeebers out of the kingpins. Rude, crude, but effective.

Pattern for the trunk divider is coming as soon as I get home in a few weeks.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Congratulations on taking the car out for it's first spin. The front end is lookin' real good.

Regards,

Stephen

Posted on: 2010/10/11 19:15
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys for all the kind words!

Ross,

The steering is feather light with the car off the ground. No resistance on the steering wheel at all. I can also rotate the steering wheel side to side pushing one of the tires in and out with little effort.

But with the full weight of the car on the ground trying to turn at low speed, the steering feels like a modern power steering car....with the motor turned off.

Perhaps I will try to relube as you suggested and work the steering back and forth as I do.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 8:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, of course you know this but just to remind, inflation pressure has a huge effect on ease of steering especially at low speed and stand-still. Also radials and/or oversize tires will give more resistance to turning at a standstill than bias ply, all else being equal. My 48 Custom 8 gave easy steering at even very low speeds with inflation pressures about 3 or 4 psi below the rated maximum pressure. Of course what one person might consider light steering another might consider heavy - matter of perspective I guess.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Kev,

Congrats on getting the ol gal up and running! With regards to your steering, is it possible you might need to adjust your steering gear?

Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/12 11:51
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What I meant by heavy is that I have to bear a considerable amount of weight into the wheel to get it to turn at low speed. (two hands on the wheel leaning alot of body weight into it)

The best way to describe what it feels like is to try to steering a modern power-steering car with the motor turned off (no power assist).

Posted on: 2010/10/12 13:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 89 90 91 (92) 93 94 95 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved