Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 186

Big Ben, Spencer B., kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I am considering restoring a Packard Convertible 1941. My question is, How easy is it to get spare parts? And to get everything for the dashboard? Any hints when restoring?

Posted on: 2010/10/30 23:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Gary-
Boy is that an open ended question!
Everything is available. It's only a matter of money...and shipping costs. I would bet that if you made a list of what you need specifically, along with model and series, go to the Packard Forums of this website, the For Sale, WANTED, etc section at the bottom and put your list there, you would have plenty of responses and sources. Plus there are Packard people in the UK and perhaps they have suppliers there as well.
Yesterday's Radio has all or most of the plastic for the dash. Download their catalog.
Kanter Auto Parts has tons of stuff online.
Max Merriitt as well.
Steele Rubber Parts has all the rubber parts for your car.
Egge Machine has engine parts, like that.
No one has commented on the spread sheet I attached to the Project Blog I just started on this site, but you can see what I paid for many items. I'm sure others could get much of this stuff for less, but at least you'd what parts and services I paid for on a similar car (1940 Super8 conv sedan).
In the Project Blogs, it's The Duchess Project.
There are numerous people on this site who are much more knowledgeable than I about this. Invaluable help. So I encourage you. I have lots of English relatives through marriage, so perhaps on a trip over you can take me for a ride when you're done.
Joe

Posted on: 2010/10/31 0:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gary,
to PackardInfo.

I see Joe has given quite a comprehensive answer to your questions. As Joe has suggested the more specific you can be in your requirements then more pertinent answers could be supplied on a part by part basis. Saying that, I've mechanically restored my '41 120 Club Coupe using all of the suppliers mentioned as well as eBay and some local suppliers and businesses here in Australia.

If you have a couple of spare days have a look at my Project Blogs, one specifically covering the Coupe, see Mal's '41 120 Coupe and the other more general in Packard matters, see Wade's Workshop. And as I said, you'll need plenty of time to work your way through my Blogs, although it could be a good way of putting you to sleep if you're an insomniac!

Posted on: 2010/10/31 0:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Joe,
If Gary can't accomadate you your welcome to a ride in my 34 when your over.
Did have a look at your spreadsheet and what can one say but WOW. With all that cost your car is going to be a winner. Good luck to you.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/10/31 5:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Thanks guys, you give me great hope. Yes of course Joe, no problem. In the next 10 years we hoping to relocate to Aruba, in the Dutch Carribean. Would be a nice car to show off there. Please tell me, is it a easy affair to download pictures ?

With the Packard convertible 1941 110 coup, what is the engine like? Do you guys get it pro cleaned ?

What colours are available for this model?

Posted on: 2010/10/31 6:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
The one i looked at was on ebay. Is it correctly priced? A strange one. You must agree, this car is a mess, confused and completly mixed up. Its like 40's and 50' all slammed together. what was they thinking of? on a serious note, can this wreck be bought back to origional? or better look else where for others ones to restore?
link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-Packard-Convertible-Coupe-50s-custom-Cadillac-NR-/330489873386?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf2bb43ea#ht_500wt_1182

When restoring, i guess first job is get the body in good shape and resprayed. Then steam clean metal parts, rechrome if nessary. then find missing parts, and lastly get the machanicle side working as it should. I have given myself 5 years or so to get it done.

Is there a colour paint chip guide for packard? or duco, comb code number for car?

Posted on: 2010/10/31 6:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gary,

The '40 Convertible Coupe you have been looking at on eBay has been the subject of some discussion on PackardInfo, see this thread. it's not exactly a Packard although it started out as one. But if you are into customizing and rodding, it may be the one for you?

While this thread should help answer queries about loading pictures.

Also there is a wealth of information covering many years amd models in Packard Literature and Manuals, so when you find your Packard you'll be able to access and download that information for free.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 6:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I will leave this one alone. Can other 1940's convertibles projects be easy to obtain?

Posted on: 2010/10/31 6:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Convertibles are rarer and more desirable than other body styles and usually command a price premium.

On the PAC Site in their For Sale section there are currently a '38 and a '40 Convertible Coupe for sale. Lot more money but much better cars.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 7:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Gary - depending on the year you prefer, I have a friend who has several convertible project cars in the 38-41 style, as well as a 48 Custom 8 Convertible that needs a loving home. PM me for direct contact information.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 8:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved