Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 96 97 98 (99) 100 101 102 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Fantastic progress! Really makes me want to run out and strip something.

The bottom and side moldings on the windshield and on the rear window come off with nuts on the inside. The top of the rear window is set in the rubber, and I can't remember about the top of the windshield.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 14:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross thanks for the info. What about the corner moldings? Are they also attached with a nut?

Also one other question that is related. The rain guards in the top corner of the front side windows, how are they removed?

Posted on: 2010/11/29 14:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since your car is a sort of hybrid with models maybe not applicable, but if it is anything like the 53 windshield there is a good description and pictures in May 53 service counselor, 27-5. Ross's description sounds like it might be similar.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Howard! I knew I saw something somewhere about it a while back, but just couldn't remember where.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 15:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
I just pulled my woindow trim off this weekend.The rear upper trim is set in with the rubber but not sandwiched .It will come off by gently prying on the top of it and down.You should be able to look at the end of it to see how it is hooked in.The front upper and sides are in the same way.They are hooked in about 1/8 inch in to the rubber.The upper corners are held in by studs removed from the inside.The bottom windshield trim is held in with nuts behind the interior window trim.If you dont have an 11/32 wrench let me know how long it takes you to find one.After a half tank of gas I found out no one wants to sell them individually

Posted on: 2010/11/29 19:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have an 11/32 wrench and also shallow and deep sockets. So I am good there. Thanks for the tips! The question is, can you get the "sandwiched" trim back in after you removed it? Or does it have to go in at the time the window is installed?

Posted on: 2010/11/29 21:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
I think the trim was installed with the glass.But if your window gasket is petrified like mine,I dont think the rubber will close back up .Its only into the rubber about 1/8 inch.Dont take my advice though,I dont want to be blamed later.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
If the trim around the windshield was all correctly in place before removing, the rubber gasket around the glass will stay in place (because it is petrified) The sides go in/out pretty easily. The top is a little more tricky. I had to put my windshield top trim back in a few years ago, and worked a wire/rope under the rubber to 'teach it' to open up. I also used a heat gun on the rubber to soften it a little (carefull you don't heat the glass too much).

Posted on: 2010/12/2 4:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Back in the garage today.... The sanding and stripping continues. Also attempted to pull the back bumper apart, but some previous person managed to completely round off two of the nuts. So I am going to have to cut those two bolt out. Really I need to replace all the bumper bolts in the rear. All of there are bent, and rusted up pretty bad. No way for me to reuse them like I did on the front bumper.

The roof of the car has become a challenge to strip. The same style stripping discs are worked great on the rest of the car are not working that well on the roof. The metal while not pitted, is really "stained" black from all the surface rust. The hood was very similar, and i had to use a chemical rust remover and a HD green pad to pull that black out of the metal. Also trying also not to sand to hard in the roof since that panel is so big and has no support in the middle I really an to avoid any warpage.

Posted on: 2010/12/4 17:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I took care of a few tasks this evening. Changed out the old oil and refilled with Mobil Delvac 15-40 oil. The old oil came out of the engine black as coal. This is from running a couple of quarts of ATF in the crank case which helped to flush out all the old crap. Also I think still have some blowby, and that is also dirtying the oil. Also replaced the oil filter of course.

I then drained the transmission and refilled it as well. Most mushy crud came out with the old ATF fluid.

The ticking I am hearing I am pretty sure is coming from the valve train. It is loudest when I put the stethoscope on the front manifold bolt. Car is still smoking. I am hoping so actually driving may help to free up the rings. If not, looks like I may have some engine work ahead of me.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 22:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 96 97 98 (99) 100 101 102 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved