Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Shock Absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gary, here is a photo of the old and new shocks. The old damaged one came into contact with the rock shield that got bent. While it looks terrible, it was still functioning. Only the outer shield was damaged. My front shocks are the old type and are part of the upper A-arm. I filled them with hydraulic jack oil.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (29.26 KB)
565_4d1ce81fba808.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2010/12/30 15:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Has anyone converted the old style top of the a-arm shocks to the new style, and if so did it ride any better? I'd rather replace all 4 shocks every so many years vs just refilling the front ones and wondering if they're working well.

I know when they were out of fluid that the front end would some times dribble like a basketball when going over railroad tracks and the like. I attributed some of it to bias ply tires.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You can have lever action shocks rebuilt if you want to. Usually the only thing that wears out is the shaft seals, and the fluid leaks out. Before I spent hundreds of $$$$swapping them out for tubular shocks that are frankly inferior in quality I would top them up once or twice a year.

Rebuilt shocks cost more than tubular shocks but if you look at the cost of making new shock mounts etc. it would be just as cheap as changing over, and the rebuilt shocks would last the rest of your life if not longer.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
To put it another way I don't think the tubular shocks have any advantage except low cost. In fact the most expensive cars like Cadillac and Packard kept the lever action shocks long after the cheaper models switched.

On the other hand the newest shocks are probably more sophisticated in design than those of the fifties but whether they would make a Packard ride or handle any better remains to be seen.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
variable orifice and variable fluid rheology as used in some shocks would make a difference. A new but conventional tubular would not make much difference

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to repeat, for those will refillable shocks, you can get a bit more resistance by going to a slightly more viscous hydraulic oil. Mobil for one offers it in both SAE 10 and SAE 20.

I continue to be amazed after all these years at how well the adjustable shocks work on the 34. As many of you know, it's dash-adjustable in 3 positions and you sure can easily notice the difference in the dampening effect.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved