Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Shock Absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Any you Guys recomend adding quality Shocks? Be it Gas-Charged Shocks or Coil Over Booster (These will slightly raise car height) ? Pleasuride shocks, etc. Saw them in the Kanter auto Products Catalogue and wondered your views on this?

Sounds like a sure way to improve comfort and handling in these old cars?

Posted on: 2010/12/29 14:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Shock Absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gary, I recently bought a pair of Delco gas-charged shock absorbers for the rear of my '47 from Max Merritt. They seem to be working just fine.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/29 15:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There was a comment a while ago, from a guy who owned a 49 or 50 model. He felt the ride was good but not as creamy as a Packard should be. He was advised to fill the shock absorbers with jack oil, after he did this the car was transformed. He stated he was fully satisfied with the ride, and it rode much smoother than his late model every day car.

If I had a car with lever action shockes I would try filling them first. If it had tubular shocks I would throw them away at once and put on a good set of name brand shocks. Tubular shocks only have a life of 20000 or 25000 miles. After that they may look ok and seem to work ok but they don't smooth out the ride the way they should. I have proven this more than once on late model, low mile cars. The owner couldn't believe what a difference new shocks made when their mechanic said the old ones were fine.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I believe that i used 10 wt motorcycle fork oil on the front of my 50 and it seemed to ride great. I'll try jack oil next time i check and top them off.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 19:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gary, the '54 Convert you are inquiring about would use tube-style shocks like most modern equipped vehicles. Modern shocks are listed in the Parts X-ref for these.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
If then 54 has tube style, I think time to change.
Cover Over Booster shocks look just the job.
Is this job changing shocks a real pain in the A*#^. To do ?

If Machanic does job, what is a reasonable charge? Here in England Machanics charge by the hour, ranging from ?30 upto ?50 per hour Sterling. $46 - $77 pet hour US Dollar.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 6:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Changing shocks on a 54 is a simple, do-it-yourself job for anyone who is in the least, handy with tools. Simple. Here is the US it isn't necessary to purchase replacements from the specialty Packard vendors, just measure the compressed and extended lengths, the nature of the top and bottom attachment points, and head off to the parts store.

Gas-filled shocks are quite suitable. For cars with sagging and tired rear springs, I'd rather replace or retemper the springs than try to compensate with "coil over" rear shocks unless you're going to tow a trailer or carry an elephant in the back seat.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Shock absorbers are not very expensive or difficult to change. Usually about an hour to change all 4.

Try your local motor factor. You may be able to get them locally.

In any case shock absorbers only matter if you are actually driving your car. Tires and shocks should be the last thing you buy, just before the MOT.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I know nothing is for sure in this world, I can only hope, as our plans are to buy a retirement home in Aruba, the Carribean. Now as we all know the roads there are far from being the best, uneven etc. I am not going to keep car locked up as just a show piece, I want to injoy her and the ride. What shocks should I be thinking about to help cope with this?

Heres what the old front springs look like, saw on web page

and some Gas charged shocks, which are prob best for my car on bad roads? (well that my guess) any way!!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (27.34 KB)
3217_4d1cd57f37a70.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (8.87 KB)
3217_4d1ce0ad1b93e.jpg 383X355 px

Posted on: 2010/12/30 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
And Coil Over booster Pic
Yes these more suitable for heavy loads.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.15 KB)
3217_4d1ce12a6f55b.jpg 383X355 px

Posted on: 2010/12/30 14:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved