Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 8th February 2011

That was quick, bloody quick! Wade ordered a synchro kit for Noel's '39, on Friday night by email from JD at Max's, and it arrived yesterday. four Edit 3 days, to go half way 'round the world, wonder what the shipping was? Wade installed the new springs and balls yesterday and assembled the mainshaft so when I arrived this morning was given strict care instructions about it! Then while Wade assembled the transmission and OD I pottered around the alternator mounting plate for the '34. At Lee Bros yesterday we'd picked up a length of stainless steel tube and this I cut and ground into 6 spacers to go between the mounting plate and the water jacket side plate. Mocked up the mounting plate on the side plate in the '34 together with the alternator to obtain some idea of where the mounting bracket might be best placed. However, rather than depend on eyeball measurements, the fan is coming off the '34 and the water pump loosened so that the fan belt can be removed and more accurate measurements made, after all you only get one opportunity to get it right. Wade completed assembly of the trans and OD, with some minor help from yours truly when more than two hands were required on a couple of occasions. During the course of this had a phone call from Clynton, one of the guys in our Packard Club, who was enquiring about a bug screen for mid/late 30's Packards I'd advertised in our club magazine. Unfortunately he was beaten to the prize by Peter, who last night called and acquired the screen. Best part of it, it was free, because another club member wanted to get rid of it and rather than have it go to the dump I "saved" it and advertised if anyone might need it. Also took home the charged up battery for the '41.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.75 KB)
226_4d5107fd3f657.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.07 KB)
226_4d5108124cebd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.19 KB)
226_4d510823ec5c4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.17 KB)
226_4d51083149465.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.53 KB)
226_4d510847b3b7a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.23 KB)
226_4d51086374018.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.94 KB)
226_4d51088478f8d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.58 KB)
226_4d5108956137a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.78 KB)
226_4d5108a89fb2d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.11 KB)
226_4d5108b649981.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 4:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 9th February 2011

Fitted the recharged Optima battery to the '41 this morning and it started up after fuel pumped through the system. Did note that if the door was left open then the ammeter showed a discharge so I've probably left a door ajar, will keep an eye on that in the future.

At the workshop first order of business was installing the trans/OD in Noel's '39. This was accomplished by sitting the trans/OD on a trolley jack, sliding it under the car, jacking it up, manouvering it into place, swearing, jacking it up, swearing, jiggling, swearing, trying different angles, swearing, letting it down, swearing, re-positioning, swearing, re-jacking, swearing, manouvering, swearing. Had a lot of help from Graham in the positioning, re-positioning, jiggling and general muscle areas. And all that swearing must have done some good because it all finally went into place! Wade continued working under the '39 for most of the rest of the day with Graham able to give assistance from time to time when some of the more challenging aspects of parts re-installation were encountered.

I left Wade to the '39 undercar work while I turned my attention to the '34's alternator mounting plate. Mounted and remounted the plate 6, or was it 8, or maybe 10 times, so many so that I lost count. For each little step the plate was mounted, measurements taken, or parts added as it progressed. Major task for today was mounting the Holden bracket to the mounting plate with Wade able to offer advice and guidance on the occasions he emerged from under the '39 to straighten up and take a breather. Needed to establish a reference point on the mounting plate and this was accomplished by using a "straight edge" in the form of a large screwdriver resting in the V of the water pump pulley and measuring from the centre of the screwdriver to the edge of the plate. Using the same "straight edge" approach the mounting plate was also marked for the rear most point of the Holden bracket. On the bench, using these marks, the Holden bracket was positioned and the rear mounting hole marked, then drilled and tapped. Back on the '34, the mounting plate with the Holden bracket affixed by the one bolt was mounted yet again and the alternator mounted. Close observation confirmed all looked good so the position of the Holden bracket was scribed onto the mounting plate. Back on the bench, yet again, the forward Holden bracket hole was marked, then drilled. Remounted the whole apparatus again on the '34 only to take it off again to clean everything up for painting tomorrow.

During the course of trans/OD and alternator work Noel arrived after having been to see his mate Tony. Tony has finished the re-woodgraining for Noel's '41 One-Sixty Club Coupe and he'll be bringing the pieces down tomorrow so I'll get pic's and post then. Noel also needed a cup of tea, a valium and a good lie down when he arrived. He'd received a quote for the rust and other bodywork on his '41 One-Sixty and let's just say it was a lot, lot more than he was expecting.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.92 KB)
226_4d524d7481c80.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.56 KB)
226_4d524d8bcad2b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.52 KB)
226_4d524d9d56c9f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.83 KB)
226_4d524db0aca0f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (47.41 KB)
226_4d524dc35e8b9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.13 KB)
226_4d524ddb6e330.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (47.87 KB)
226_4d524de7a8212.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.51 KB)
226_4d524e517deeb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/9 3:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
She's looking good Mal

Posted on: 2011/2/9 6:41

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 10th February 2011

While Wade continued under and around the '39, I prepared and prepped the alternator mounting plate, bracket and fittings for the '34 for painting. During this Tony, Noel's friend, arrived with the '41 One-Sixty's re-woodgrained dash and one window moulding. They look very, very nice with the dash polished up from the previous time we saw it and the window moulding looking magnificent with the walnut finish on the bottom contrasting nicely with the lighter coloured finish used above it and on the sides and top. It even looks like real joins in the lighter wood where it transitions from horizontal to vertical in the lower corners.

Once Tony left, he also finally fixed the door lock on the '39 so Noel can now lock up the car, Wade returned to the '39 while I applied POR-15 to the '34 alternator kit parts. Once painting was over gave Wade a hand re-filling the OD and trans with oil. There's only one way to do it, use a pump it's so much easier. So while I pumped Wade held the nozzle in the OD and trans until full and re-installed the plugs. Time to start the '39 again, which it did but was running with a miss. Shouldn't be doing that as all was well when fired up some weeks ago after changing the sparkplugs. So after returning the '39 to the workshop floor the plugs were changed to the set of Autolites Noel insisted on. After all, you never know when a Packard judge might be around do you? When the new Champions were pulled, all looked good except number #8 which was dirty/oily. The only running these plugs have had is in the workshop, only minutes of running time and none under load. So before installing the Autolites a compression test was performed, returning readings of 120/125psi for all cylinders which looks good.

That's where I left things because two little grand-daughters required some "Poppy" time today, how could I pass up that! But Wade's going to check the '39 further, so when I see it next it should be running well. Also put the old side plate, being used for mock up, back on the spare '34 engine, that way it's out of the way. And just remembered, yesterday Mat called Wade and advised he'd found a place who can straighten axles. Only thing we need to know know is whether they need the '34 or just the axle.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.17 KB)
226_4d53600709f08.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.38 KB)
226_4d536018e4c20.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.30 KB)
226_4d536024a24ef.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.15 KB)
226_4d53602fd5dbd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.09 KB)
226_4d5360400520c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.65 KB)
226_4d53604feecea.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.19 KB)
226_4d53606db5094.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.72 KB)
226_4d5360906c516.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.38 KB)
226_4d5360a3e231f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.82 KB)
226_4d5360b716dd7.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/2/9 22:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If Noel is so picky about spark plugs, why doesn't he get some correct spark plug wires!

Posted on: 2011/2/9 23:19

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David!

Posted on: 2011/2/10 1:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Mal,

The place that can repair the axle is called Pro-Axle, located at Smithfield contact: 9725-5274.

When I spoke to them they said to bring the car around and they would have a look. I guess if Wade or yourself calls them and explain the situation to them they could advise if they need the car or just the axle.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 5:39

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Valentines Day Monday 14th February 2011

Yesterday, Sunday, The Packard Automobile Club of Australia held it's Annual General Meeting and at which I was nominated, seconded and elected to the position of Secretary! I don't know why I said yes to this, maybe a moment of weakness, maybe a moment of madness, maybe an ego thing or maybe a combination of some or all of the foregoing? But that's just to set the scene. Why I'm referencing that event is because of Noel. Noel had picked up the '39 from Wade on Saturday afternoon from the workshop. Wade had been driving it home and back to the workshop as an on-going road test following the clutch, trans and OD repairs and it performed admirably including reverse gear. Noel picked it up on Saturday, drove it home, backed into the garage and then drove to the PACA AGM on Sunday whereupon the "fun" started. Because I was the first to arrive at Richard and Wendy's, who graciously provided the venue, I was appointed parking attendant. All went well with the first 6 Packards backed up in a row up against the fence, then Noel arrived. With no space left against the fence I directed Noel to park in front of the stables, front end facing out. All went well until Noel tried to select reverse and that's when the "fun" began. No reversing was evident, just a lot of gear clashing and grinding sounds emanating from the '39. Had to hand it to Noel, he persevered, trying to find the gear that didn't want to be found. However the person who shouldered the biggest part of the pain in all this was Wade, who grimaced with every unfavourable crunch and grind as it happened. In the end, to spare the '39 as well as Wade's nerves, I directed Noel to park it front end first outside the stables. Then on leaving the AGM Wade and Noel went directly to the workshop and deposited the '39 there in readiness for diagnostics and treatment. The really amazing thing about all that was Noel's attitude. He was thrilled that the '39 was running so well, up to that point anyway. He enthused about how well it had been going, the best it's ever gone!

But, today's another day, and greeting me at the workshop were the two Packards just inside the roller door, Wade having swapped over to his ute from Big Red. Found too that Wade had salvaged an alternator tensioning arm from the scrap metal bin and it looked like it would do the job on the '34. He'd also taken down and laid out the parts I'd POR-15'd last week so I quickly mocked up the mounting plate, bracket and alternator to ascertain whether it would fit. And it would but required an extension to the mounting plate to be able to do so.

However, before getting too involved in alternator fitment, a road trip was in order. This was done in style in Big Red with a number of stops made. 1) Award Diffs, where Wade was catching up about some Harley Davidson turn indicator lights and stanchions from the guy there. Actually what we first saw, when we arrived, was a Packard diff sitting on the workshop floor! Turns out it belongs to a guy who's had a Packard for 20 years and now that he's retired he's working on it. He's turned the diff over to Award so they can go over it and do what they do best. Speaking of which, the guy at Award after turning down my request to take a photograph of him, said to take a pic of the 1/2 dozen or so boxes sitting near the front of the roller door. Turns out each box contains a brand new but defective Landrover Defender transmission sent to him to fix, and they'd come that way from the factory in the UK. Apparently the new owners of Landrover have disposed of the previous skilled and experienced workforce and their replacements obviously don't know how to do the job! There are pallet loads of these waiting to be fixed but he only does a small batch at a time with about 150 fixed to date! 2) Anglade Engineering was the next stop to pick up the '36 120 water pump after it's remedial work. Was also able to let David there know that the work they'd done on DavidM's '29 633 trans and diff was all good as DavidM had driven it to the AGM yesterday and is very pleased. 3) Last stop was Ross Performance Engineering where Wade dropped off his spare harmonic balancer for Big Red. It's being rebuilt as probably the last attempt, apart from another complete engine teardown, to solve the vibration problem experienced at about 45mph in Big Red. Unfortunately Ross wasn't there, but Wade expects to catch up with him by phone tomorrow.

Back at the workshop while I returned to the '34 alternator mounting duties, Wade assembled the '36 water pump. The water pump is now back together meaning another Packard will be on the road again soon. The alternator mounting work continued with a "mast" being cut from a piece of angle iron, two holes drilled and bolted to the top of the alternator plate via two holes drilled and tapped for the bolts used. To the "mast" the alternator tensioning arm was bolted after drilling another hole to suit. All this nessitated a number of mounting, de-mounting scenarios again until the set-up was all in place. What remained to do now was sourcing the correct length fan belts to enable what Wade had labeled a Heath Robinson contraption(British equivalent to Rube Goldberg) to be connected and driven. A length of electrical flex was pressed into service, looped around the crank, water pump and alternator pulleys and measured at 1,270mm. However, a little before that, the issue of the drive pulley on the alternator had to addressed because it was a wider, deeper pulley than those on the crank and water pump. A search in the scrap bin found two discarded alternators but both had modern type drive belt pulleys, not being vee types. Fortunately John had a spare alternator on the shelf which did have the appropriate pulley and it has contributed it's pulley and fan structure to the cause. Meanwhile Rick had been casting his eye over things, especially in regard to belt sizes. From his advice two belts an A11 1030 and an A11 1300 should be at the workshop tomorrow morning, after being ordered in by John today, for fitment and assessment as to their suitability. Learnt that vee belts can be obtained by the section size, eg A8, A9, A10 and A11, etc as well as the length 1000mm. 1030mm, etc etc. And Mat, you probably owe John, and for that matter Rick, a bottle of something each for their advice and contributions along the way.

That done, and waiting for belts to arrive, finally turned to Noel's '39. Jacked it up, on jackstands, Wade underneath, where else and the diagnosis began. Although I don't think Wade's been loosing sleep over this he has been mulling it over and his initial diagnostic point was the OD lockout/engagement cable and it's operation. Here I could help, well as much as sitting in the drivers seat saying as I pushed or pulled the OD knob "all the way in" or "all the way out" a couple of times could be constued as help while Wade observed the consequent undercar operation of the lever at the side of the OD. Wade then disconnected the cable from the lever and replicated the in and out operation without being cable operated. Doing this Wade came to the conclusion that cable activated operation of the OD lockout/engagement was not a factor in the problem being experienced. I left Wade to reading the manual, probably phoning Peter Packard, which was also suggested by Noel in a call I fielded while we were doing the road trip in Big Red, in the hope that advice might be forthcoming without resorting to removing the OD and trans from the '39 again.

Another matter that came up was the crank balancer/pulley on Old Blue is failing and David, the new owner of Old Blue, contacted Wade seeking a replacement. Only complete balancer/pulley in the workshop is the old one off my '41 which has a crack in it and was exchanged for the balancer/pulley off another engine when I rebuilt the '41 engine. It had been running on the '41's engine when we pulled it down to rebuild it and will be offered to David as an interim fix until he can source a non-cracked unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.66 KB)
226_4d5900c9e2e0c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.99 KB)
226_4d5900ec60b5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.73 KB)
226_4d59010067b90.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.53 KB)
226_4d5901134666c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.96 KB)
226_4d590128a3873.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.10 KB)
226_4d59013b7f3d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.69 KB)
226_4d59015007a1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.13 KB)
226_4d59015b77b8e.jpg 640X481 px

jpg  (23.94 KB)
226_4d59016cb3252.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.00 KB)
226_4d59017a86fc6.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.14 KB)
226_4d59018e2f12b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.30 KB)
226_4d590199cdb13.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.24 KB)
226_4d5901b0ddd00.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.78 KB)
226_4d5901c1f065b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.13 KB)
226_4d5983c834504.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.72 KB)
226_4d5983d63aea3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/14 5:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wade had been driving it home and back to the workshop as an on-going road test following the clutch, trans and OD repairs and it performed admirably including reverse gear.

Don't you hate it when that happens. Used to take care of a machine like that. Techs could make it fail repeatedly until I came to fix it -- then the best behaved machine you could ask for. And they say machines don't have personalities.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 12:48
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 16th February 2011

Mat, it works! This afternoon, after a lot of "fine tuning", the '34 roared into life with alternator mounted and running. There were wide grins all round for a couple of very happy people over in the Packard corner of the workshop. But before getting there, there were a number of things happen, aka "fine tuning". Just after arriving at the workshop John went round to Repco and picked up the two fan belts ordered on Monday(Both A11 in Section, one 1030mm, the other 1300mm). Because we're using both pulleys on the crank with the front one only driving the water pump and the rear one the water pump and alternator two different length belts are required. But the trouble was they were both too long even though they didn't have a 1300mm belt and supplied a 1295mm instead. What fooled us was we did have an A13 1030mm belt and it fitted well so assumed(yeah we know, makes an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me') all that needed to be done was get the same length but in the A11 section. Wrong, the length needs to be shorter because the belt sits lower in the vee, lower yes but not bottoming. Because we hadn't measured the required length for the front belt, thought it would be a good idea to do so now. And the measurement - 990mm, quite a difference! Yesterday we'd measured 1270mm for the rear belt and scaled up to 1300mm because although John had an A11 1270mm belt, it didn't fit! Or so we thought. Turns out by rotating the alternator right down on it's bracket it does fit and fits well! So we had one belt, the rear, and needed a new front one. Fortunately as John had to do a test drive he took the opportunity to return the two "too long" belts to Repco and pick up a 990mm one instead.

While John was out turned to Noel's '39, for which Wade had had a long discussion yesterday with Peter Packard. They have come to the conclusion that because of wear in some of the components in the OD a spacer or shim is required for re-alignment of the components. That means the OD is coming out but not the trans this time. In order to facilitate this the rear end of the '39 was jacked up and jackstands put in place so there's working room under there.

By this time John had returned with the 990mm belt and it fitted. However, in my own inimitable style, I hadn't tightened, let along used spring washers on, the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the mounting plate and consequently it was flapping in the breeze when the belts were put on. Fixed, aka fine tuned, with the appropriate washers and properly tightened. Then some fine tuning to the alternator tensioning arm, it was slightly bent, but a little persuasion with the heavy hammer soon straightened it out. Although now all looked good, it was once again time to pull the whole thing apart so it could all go back together for the final time. Needed to apply gasket sealant to the oil cooler/filter housing being blocked off by the mounting plate. Also needed to apply another sealant to the bolt holes drilled and tapped into the block to hold the mounting plate. Additionally the three lower bolts for the mounting plate each have a spacer and load spreading washer between the mounting plate and the water jacket side plate. But....because of the difficulty of inserting the bolts into the mounting plate then the spacers and washers between the two plates the lower bolts, spacers and washers were installed with the mounting plate. held in place by some more sealant. Bloody awful stuff to work with using your hands but it serves a purpose. All went well with Wade holding the mounting plate and bolts/spacers/washers 'glued' in place and me screwing on a couple of nuts on the former oil cooler/filter housing studs. Then the bolts for the top mountings were inserted together with spacers and washers. And that's where I came undone! Washers! When doing all the measuring, trial fitting, etc I overlooked the fact I didn't have washers under the heads of the bolts. As a consequence, with washers now under the bolt heads, there wasn't enough thread left on the bolts I'd ground down to provide sufficient thread depth. Not to worry, a quick trip to Lee Bros for some new bolts solved that. It also taught me a vital lesson in not taking short cuts or taking things for granted.

While I was out Wade was back under the '39 taking off the drive shaft, rear OD mount, disconnecting the Solenoid, disconnecting the OD cable and removing the Flackmaster snubber. With all that done, and returning from the right length bolt quest, work resumed on mounting the alternator mounting plate. It's wonderful what can be done when you have the right fasteners available, it all comes together as it should! Saying that, we resorted to using shortened bolts for two of the lower mountings as the full length bolts bottomed out, so they came in handy after all. Then the tightening sequence, because in my measuring and drilling of holes initially a couple of the oil cooler/filter mounting ones were slightly off and these had to tweaked down first followed by the rest of the oil cooler/filter then by the larger perimeter right length bolts. The perimeter bolts also had plenty of sealant applied because of the possibility the holes penetrated to the water jacket. A number of sequences were performed before everything snugged down nicely. Then the cooling system was refilled and a leak check performed, unfortunately finding not one but two. One was a very slight leak from the water pump housing which disappeared when the pump housing nuts were re-tightened. The other was the bottom right bolt of the alternator mounting plate and was a more serious proposition. Water was making its way along the threads of bolt, through the spacer and dribbling down from the end of the spacer and the alternator mounting plate. It meant 1) that bolt penetrated the water jacket and 2) the spacer wasn't square. Made another spacer, this time with the ends square to the body. But it took a number of attempts before it was the right length because I made it a fraction too long. Necessitated repeated trips between the grinding wheel and the '34 before it had shrunk to the correct length. Wade also had a look at the bolt being used, it was one of the ground down ones and determined it could be a little longer to better fill the hole. So a slightly longer ground down bolt was selected, a chamfer ground on its end, liberal amounts of sealant applied in and around the bolt hole and fittings and back it went together. Filled with water and......no leaks! Then startup.....and as I said earlier.....it works!

Of course it wasn't yet connected up to charge, but Wade had that in hand having recycled a length of cable and fittings from Noel's old '39 harness. So with a new connector on the alternator end of the cable it was run between the alternator and a terminal on the starter motor. Multimeter testing without the wire mounted confirmed the alternator was pumping out over 6V so all looked good. But it wasn't! Although the multimeter was registering over 6V and going up over 7V when revved the ammeter inside the '34 was just showing a discharge and no variation when revved. Fortunately Wade figured out that the alternator needed to be routed through the cabling still extant on the '34's generator because it was from there the ammeter was being fed and consequently the battery. At least that's what I think he said, when it comes to things electrical I'm in the dark. However once connected up in this sequence it all worked so Mat, now you won't be in the dark.

That wasn't end for the '34, because the current starting procedure is a two man operation necessitating one operating the choke manually while the other starts the car. The rod between the choke mechanism and the carb is missing for a start but Wade believes he has a spare, just has to find it. Took off the choke mechanism, it's a minor engineering marvel in itself how it works and, apart from needing a good cleanup and the fact the spring wasn't hooked up properly, looks to be OK. Also boxed up my old '41 120 harmonic balancer to be shipped to Dave for Old Blue as a temporary fix until he can get his repaired or locate a good one. The other thing I did was take some pic's of The Fossils firewall for a guy on the PAC Site who'd PM'd me. Just as well I asked Wade about his queries because I would have given him the wrong info otherwise.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.06 KB)
226_4d5b8e715724c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.26 KB)
226_4d5b8e84b0b3d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.97 KB)
226_4d5b8e9582d4c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.73 KB)
226_4d5b8eace3a3b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.82 KB)
226_4d5b8ee30de6d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (48.82 KB)
226_4d5b8ef6887b6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.23 KB)
226_4d5b8f157327b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.44 KB)
226_4d5b8f24697bd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.94 KB)
226_4d5b8f3193e38.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.56 KB)
226_4d5b8f5f2e261.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/16 3:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved