Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 22 Series Fuel Delivery Issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hey Cortcomp, terrific! Now, maybe my dome is 180? off as a result of a previous rebuild? I noticed missing bolts all around the upper half (vacuum) of the pump. I hear Feltz is the man to make it right... or one of them at least.

Michal

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:22
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nope it is a different pump I just found another picture of a pump with the gas going up the rear of engine side rather than the front but it appears to be a single stage. The rebuilder should be able to make it work right, no matter which type though. Too much confuuuusiooooon.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.05 KB)
209_4d54576dc3c36.jpg 216X382 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the exact reason why in my rebuild article I recommend that a mark be filed where the flanges meet to serve as an index mark before reassemble.

The bottom is for sure rotated 180 out of skew. Best to have the pump rebuilt with a fresh modern fuel safe kit anyway since you don't know when it was last done.

When installed and plumbed, it should look exactly like the picture Howard posted above.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Uh oh... that second pic has a heat shield, which I don't have. Maybe I'll be fine as I have the double-stage pump. I'm also missing any hard lines from the pump to the carb... you guys think I should break out my tube bender and toss the current rubber hose?

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:37
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, for sure you want to have a new hardline made up. The heatshields always seam to get lost. Usually a lazy mechanic that didn't want to mess with putting it back on.

I would recommend you locate one as that really does help to shield the pump from exhaust manifold heat.

Also not sure about the 22 series, but later pumps also used a fitted hose with a threaded ends between the tank hardline and the pump inlet.

Look like there was some shade tree machine work done on it.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The more hardlines in a fuel system the better, as there's less chance of a fire.

Ask my dad at about rubber fuel lines and his 69 GTO with tri-power setup. There's a reason you can get tri-power manifolds but original carbs are hard to find...manifolds survive fires, carbs don't. That tells you how hot a gas fire gets.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 18:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember which engine you have but when you make your hard lines, this is the 22-23rd 356 engine routing using a similar pump to the one you have. The vacuum section on pump looks different though. The picture in post 9 with the front gas line routing is of the two smaller engines and similar was used thru 54.

Not sure if one route would be better than the other with todays more volatile gas to help reduce heat issues but agree with Kev, it should be metal. A shield is also a good idea but there are different styles for the engines. Some won't interchange so get the correct one if you decide to add it.

I notice none of the factory pictures have the Packard accessory fuel filter installed. Hopefully you have a filter somewhere because the screens built into the pump are not as fine of mesh as the filters.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.15 KB)
209_4d5470954e811.jpg 254X427 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 18:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Now that pump looks like my reman one but the air column bubble thing is on the rear like his....hrmmm.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The air dome is always on the outlet side of the pump and acts to smooth out the pulsations from the motion of the pump diaphragm.
Different orientations for the inlet and outlet are achieved by rotating the fuel or vacuum sections relative to the main body of the pump.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Nope it is a different pump I just found another picture of a pump with the gas going up the rear of engine side rather than the front but it appears to be a single stage. The rebuilder should be able to make it work right, no matter which type though. Too much confuuuusiooooon.

Howard, that photo (post #12) appears to be a 21st series 356 engine with a single pump. Note the shape of the manifolds and the horizontal tube to direct air into the crankcase breather. The pump plumbing is like mine with the outlet and expansion chamber on the backside of the pump. My heat shield is different than the one pictured, but we have already discussed this in a different thread.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/10 18:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved