Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 216

Alvin14, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

The problem with buying a 57 year old car.
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
There has been 57 years of different "mechanics" working on it.

I'm going to end up rewiring this whole car.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 5:58
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Re: The problem with buying a 57 year old car.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Do the next few owners a favor, get an exact replica wiring harness (you can add circuits for other options/ features when you order) and rewire it that way.
Then it will resemble the shop manual wiring diagram.
You can make an addendum if you add circuits and put it in the car.
Every shadetree mechanic that owns an assortment kit of blue/yellow crimp-on connectors and a crimp tool thinks they know better than degreed engineers and go in and hillbilly up wiring, the older the car, more hillbillies.
My own end of the Packard electrical business of late has illustrated to me why every auto parts store in the land has a sign over the counter that reads "no return on electrical parts".

Posted on: 2011/6/9 11:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
The only way to go.
http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/our_products.htm

They may be one of the best out there.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 12:48
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I don't think you could go wrong with a Rhode Island Wire harness either.
http://www.riwire.com/

Posted on: 2011/6/9 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 51-54 Packards have to be among the easiest cars to rewire ever produced. Go for it. I am personally a big fan of Potomac Packard for wiring harnesses.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I wish they would have used crimp connectors. Twisting the wires and wraping them loosely with electrical tape is not a long term solution

Does any know offhand if any of those harnesses are made for a 12v conversion with a GM alternator?

Posted on: 2011/6/9 16:38
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
While good to stay with proper looms for the authenticity and good wiring diagram, I don't think you will find any of the repro harnesses made with a conversion in mind. Repros are made to stock spec for original components and priced accordingly. There have been many here who have done a conversion or even a rewire using less expensive universal harnesses. If staying with 6v, you can also use a universal harness--just be sure to get one for heavy duty or 6v systems.http://stores.ez2wire.com/StoreFront.bokhttp://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/searchrefined.php?SearchAll=Classic%20Cars&refinesearch=Chassis+Harnesses

Posted on: 2011/6/9 16:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If so inclined, a stock reproduction wiring harness can be used in a 12-volt conversion. Actually, a 12-volt system uses a smaller gauge of wire than a 6-volt system. Rewire the car with a proper harness and go 12-volts if that is what you want to do. Then, if the next owner wants to go back to 6-volts the wiring will be there to do it.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/9 18:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
I wish they would have used crimp connectors. Twisting the wires and wraping them loosely with electrical tape is not a long term solution

Item # 1--crimp connectors have no place on a collector car. They are a temporary solution for modern cars that are on the march to the crusher or junkyard, and are OK for kids putting stereos in cars, that's about it.

Item #2--the method you describe is a recipe for breaking down on the side of the road. The only proper splice or joining of wires on a car is by stripping back the insulation, twisting the strands into a neat,tight manner, coating the wire with liquid solder flux then tinning the wire with electrical solder. Do the same on the mating wire, then solder both together. You may want to put shrink tube on before joining the two wires together. It is better than electrical tape for these type joints, electrical tape is OK, but shrink tube is better. All of these things can be purchased at you local radio shack.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I think Blackbeerd was kidding...But still good points

Posted on: 2011/6/10 8:12
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved