Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 178

Chuck McDonald, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Want to learn something you didn't know about Packard V8s?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
The way I figure things out is I use logic, reason and reasonableness...

Keith, keep cool. You were trying to help and your hypothesis was'nt made up out of thin air, neither to establish --> a connection between the symbol and the words "center line"...

Click to see original Image in a new window

... nor your interpretative approach.

Quote:
...Centerlines are used on blueprints as a dimensional reference, they do not appear on pistons, wheels, camera cases or almost anythkng else mass produced...

Let's for example listen to usual craftsmen who work their whole work life with mass products:

"...Centerline: A layout line drawn at the center of the thickness, width, or length of a workpiece and sometimes marked with the CL symbol. Typically, the centerline marking is used without an accompanying dimensional measurement...." [Glossary of Wood Works, published on woodmagazine.com]

Keith, this time perhaps you were wrong, to me a convenient time to say that you are a highly-valued stalwart at the center line of PackardInfo.com.

[picture source: Popular Mechanics, Oct. 1942, slightly changed]

Attach file:

jpg  (35.43 KB)
757_4e29a36bc808e.jpg 500X340 px

Posted on: 2011/7/22 11:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha.
I'm just glad that 51Packard gave us the final answer and the evidence and documentation to suppoort the answer to the excellent question posted on page 2 post#20 of this thread. Without 51Packard's input then EVERYONE ELSE including myself would still not know the complete truth. Will the wonders of PackardInfo.com ever cease???? I hope not. I am anxiously awaiting the next topic.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 12:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5rIb1-EEWt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/7/22 12:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It often takes time for all the pieces to fall together. I first posed this question on this forum about the foundry source for the V8s just a year ago when I returned from the National at Gettysburg. That was where many of us learned that Packard sold their foundry and forge in 1954.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Traveling just now and for a change not within reaching distance of of a straight eight, but I believe many of the straight eight heads have CL cast on them. Or am I crazy? How odd they would have farmed these out and cast other things in house.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...but I believe many of the straight eight heads have CL cast on them. Or am I crazy?...

Ross, the straight eight heads indeed have CL cast on them. Is that the visual proof that you are not crazy? Then CL = crazyless.

Attach file:

jpg  (168.54 KB)
757_4e2a0d692fa3b.jpg 1467X1100 px

Posted on: 2011/7/22 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Actually, Stokes Marine of Clearwater, MI, bought several dozen Packard V8s and offered them as turnkey conversions in their catalog.
Quote:
Jack, if you're really lusting for a V8 powered "vintage" runabout, how about taking a look at mine? Here's the engine layout. Quite clean, if I do say so myself:
Very clean, indeed. Is your engine a Ford 292" Y-block? The custom Packard engine is the reason that particular boat appealed to me.

jack vines

Whew, teach me to stay off line for a couple of days. Nice thread, and it's all about things I didn't know about Packard V8s.

To answer your question Jack, about the non-Packard V8 in my pic, you are correct, that is a Ford 292 "Y" block. It has "Interceptor" cast into the exhaust manifold water jackets, which I believe is the name of the marine conversion outfit. Maybe you know more about this.

Regarding the Stokes conversions of Packard engines, I did mean "most" Packard V8 marine conversions that I've seen (meaning really "a few") looked like one-offs to me. To tell you the truth, I'm not too impressed with the Stokes ones, in comparison with some other automobile engine conversions I've seen, including the Ford "Interceptor" unit.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 22:50
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There could me many reasons for a Lakey foundry mark on a Packard L-8 cylinder head; it would really be nice to also have the casting date for one one shown in Gusha's post.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
copy of article

Attach file:

jpg  (46.46 KB)
1052_4e2d7c9c67445.jpg 439X496 px

Posted on: 2011/7/25 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
attached an ad from the Montgomery Ward catalog and Stokes catalog

Attach file:

jpg  (218.61 KB)
1052_4e2d7e86e122c.jpg 1275X608 px

jpg  (34.23 KB)
1052_4e2d7ea0e0ade.jpg 480X528 px

jpg  (133.62 KB)
1052_4e2d7eb1ed1f7.jpg 935X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/7/25 9:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved