Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 195

TxGoat, Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What would you bring along for a 1200 mile drive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Mal,

I am planning on taking four days. The neatest part I have figured out so far is the SS Badger.

Other than that, no specific stops planned yet.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:01
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tom,

SS Badger as part of your trip is fantastic! It'll be like getting transported back in time cruising across the lake.

I did however get caught to start with in looking up the route of your trip. In my haste saw your avatar showing Austin Tx and worked from there, it showed a 1400 mile trip nowhere near the lake. So went back and re-read your first post and Stillwater Mn was a much better fit. At least with things like this I'm learning more about US geography then I did before.

And a little note, many years ago the former owners of my '38 went on a trip to Tasmania, the southern island state of Australia. Drove to Melbourne first, about 500 miles, then the ferry to Devonport an overnight voyage and got charged double because the Packard was so big compared to the other cars being carried!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 22:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

And a little note, many years ago the former owners of my '38 went on a trip to Tasmania, the southern island state of Australia. Drove to Melbourne first, about 500 miles, then the ferry to Devonport an overnight voyage and got charged double because the Packard was so big compared to the other cars being carried!

Mal,

Well, hopefully that won't happen with me. I mean, I am driving a little 2 door sports car .

I grew up in Minnesota. The car was my mothers, given to her by my father for christmas 1954. So it has been in MN for awhile. This will be the furthest east the car has ever been (originally a California car)!

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/28 6:53
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I honestly think Ron has said it best. There's nary a problem that can't be solved with a credit card and a hot blonde.....

Posted on: 2008/6/28 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
I honestly think Ron has said it best. There's nary a problem that can't be solved with a credit card and a hot blonde.....

My experience has been that those two items can cause no end of problems and expensive ones at that!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 12:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Neither the credit card, nor the hot blonde (or brunette in my case) will get you a new waterpump for your Packard at 3am in the morning.

I bring that up, because Mark Lambert who had a show on the DIY network were he was restoring a pre-war Packard, and he said when asked what spare parts someone should carry with them on tour, that a replacement waterpump was one of the most important parts he took with him. He said you could always find an electric fuel pump, or a set of points if you were in a jam. You could even have a generator rebuilt in almost any town in less than a day, but a Packard waterpump is a whole different beast, and if it goes out on you, then you are out of options.

Take it all with a grain of salt, just something to think about.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Neither the credit card, nor the hot blonde (or brunette in my case) will get you a new waterpump for your Packard at 3am in the morning.

I bring that up, because Mark Lambert who had a show on the DIY network were he was restoring a pre-war Packard, and he said when asked what spare parts someone should carry with them on tour, that a replacement waterpump was one of the most important parts he took with him. He said you could always find an electric fuel pump, or a set of points if you were in a jam. You could even have a generator rebuilt in almost any town in less than a day, but a Packard waterpump is a whole different beast, and if it goes out on you, then you are out of options.

Take it all with a grain of salt, just something to think about.

I think water pumps for early 30 Packards are pretty scarce. However, bringing along some spare packing would be a good idea.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/28 17:02
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Tom: One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I would carry with me is an extra set of spark plugs.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/28 17:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:

No, but the blonde will give you something do while you're broke down on the side of the road at 3am. Which is my point! The credit card is for bail for "indecent exposure".

Posted on: 2008/6/28 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Well I just came back from a 400 mile trip and din't bring any of the things mentioned except tools, fire ex, AAA and distilled water. However on my next long trip I guess I should bring some of those things mentioned. Also I wondered why no one mentioned an extra 6V coil.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 22:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved