Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hard starting when hot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thank you for the compliment. I thought the Ultramatic Primer FAQ post was kinda long, buut this one is even longer. Of course, this topic is a bit more involved.

I specifically mentioned igniton timing, but more as a matter of excessive engine temp. However, let me mull things over, overnight, and I'll see if I can dovetail something in there about igntion electrical.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I specifically mentioned igniton timing, but more as a matter of excessive engine temp. However, let me mull things over, overnight, and I'll see if I can dovetail something in there about igntion electrical.

Particularly the coils. Even thru 56 there seem to have quite a few reports of intermittent failures when hot.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 12:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Excellent article BH.

OD raises a good point about coil and condensoer. Since those are probably the easiest to change, especialy as a diagnositic procedure compared to all other procedures outlined in the article.

Of course my diagnostics procedure plan is probably not very popular nor the best in world. Nonetheless i always attempt to try quick, easy and cheap methods with parts like coil, condensor, points etc that everyone should have as a spare in hand anyway. I do that before ordering alot of parts and/or trying the more difficult repairs/diagnostic procedures.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 14:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Most of the straight eights love to run with a bit extra timing advance, but they hate to start hot if advanced.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Be advised that I have revised my Vapor Lock FAQ to note the additional requested points.

Because I chose to prefix the title with the FUEL & EXHAUST category, with focus on vapor lock, I didn't want to get too deep into electrical causes. So, I decided to insert a simple opening paragraph as a caveat.

If additional detail is required, it might be better for someone to work up a separate FAQ, prefixed with the ELECTRICAL category.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice job, thanks for the "adjustment".

Posted on: 2011/10/13 10:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
OD raises a good point about coil and condensoer. Since those are probably the easiest to change, especialy as a diagnositic procedure compared to all other procedures outlined in the article.

Just some additional information on my problem. I had the intermittent dying problem after idling through a red light on a hot day. I did replace the coil but that didn't help. Never considered the cap in the distributer.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are there any modern PRODUCTION automobiles since 2008 that use a carburetor????

Posted on: 2011/12/3 10:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved