Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 23 »

Re: 1940 Super 8 160 Model 1803 Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It looks just lovely - congratulations. Following along on West's comments about details, I suspect the tubing for the manifold to vacuum pump, oil filter, and distributor vacuum advance were originally steel and not copper.

And yes, you're definately going to want to install the two heat shields. I believe the one between the carburetor and exhaust manifold was a "356" engine only feature, but all models had the fuel pump shield. Read of the parts book would confirm.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 9:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
in as much as i am enjoying the project, i am also enjoying the cool old tools! especially the old distrubtor machine!

i also like the, what is it....Bronco maybe?? can't tell exactly.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/10/14 9:07
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Great going, Jim. How does a year go by so quickly? Yet when I look at the first entry of my blog on Oct 20, 2010, I realize a lot more can happen in a year than I'd dreamed of after having the Duchess apart for 25 years. Can't wait to come down for a drag race. We'll give them something to talk about!
Joe

Posted on: 2011/10/14 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
It looks just lovely - congratulations. Following along on West's comments about details, I suspect the tubing for the manifold to vacuum pump, oil filter, and distributor vacuum advance were originally steel and not copper.

And yes, you're definately going to want to install the two heat shields. I believe the one between the carburetor and exhaust manifold was a "356" engine only feature, but all models had the fuel pump shield. Read of the parts book would confirm.

I think the tubes were copper. They are on my original car, but that doesn't mean they weren't changed at some point (not in the last 50 years, though). Also, the heat sheilds were a mid-year addition if I remember correctly. Jim's car is an early car (also if I remember correctly), so its correct not to have them. For driving purposes, though, he's going to want to have them.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Jim's is a late 1940, one of the last. Mine's the one that early, sold on announcement day.

Better than a heat shield, which does little on my car to prevent vapor lock, even with fuel line insulated, is a 6 volt fuel pump used to start the car after it sits for a few days and to push through the vapors when it's hot, which I am adding on after gas tank is repaired.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps so, West, you know these cars far better than I. But copper would be an somewhat poor choice for the oil filter especially as it's susceptible to "work-hardening" which ultimately can lead to splitting or fracture.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
You're exactly right. I did that also.

Dave
You are also right. I know I should probably change that oil filter line before it's too late.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Were the oil filter and vacuum tubing originally made of steel and copper plated? I seem to recall this being done on the pre- and post-war Lincoln Continentals. Also, the carb to dist vacuum line looks to be too close to a spark plug. The engine is looking very good. Thanks for your postings.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/14 11:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Nice detail work. You may want to investigate the use of a heat shield above the fuel pump, and a heat sheild behind the carburetor.
Also, and I only bring this up because I know you're trying to get the details correct, you might want to use correct hose clamps. The first two items may be helpful once you start driving, the hose clamps only for judging.

I'm curious about your upper radiator hose(s). Shouldn't that be a single hose?

Would you be interested in making another heater pipe support bracket? I need one. Also, I'm interested in how the intake drain tube bracket attaches (fuzzy photo). Did you make that, too?

Thanks West, yes the upper hose proper application is one piece. What you see there is an inline water filter (sold under the trade name Gano Filter) that I always use for the first several miles after disturbing any cooling system. It sure saves a lot of headaches with plugged up radiator tubes.

I agree about the style hose clamp, not because of judging as this is not a car that would qualify for many judged events (AACA preservation class perhaps) but because they are correct. I have had terrible experience with the correct type clamps seeping and found that using the worm style (Gates) will seat and conform the hoses to the rough castings of the radiator and cylinder necks. Once installed for a period I can change out to the correct style and rarely encounter leaks.

I considered retrofitting the '41 and latter heat shielding, but haven't encountered fuel delivery problems on the '39 or '40 thus far, and that's been in operational temperatures exceeding 105 degrees.

As for the heater tube support bracket, I am sure it would be no trouble, with the only concern being that I made the bracket specifically to work with the height of the tube that John Ulrich supplies. One that is a little taller, or shorter would make the support worthless. I am sure we can figure something out.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 0:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.

I am going to stay with the copper lines at this time because they are in very good condition, still very malleable, and the very lines installed when the car was new by PMCC. These original equipment copper lines are very likely an H-D line, much like original equipment H-D air brake lines found in vintage heavy truck and trailer air brake applications.

As mentioned in the reply to West, I carefully considered retrofitting heat shielding to the car, but haven't encountered issues with fuel delivery. I also conferred with Jim Hollingsworth about 1940 356 equipped cars being delivered with the shielding. Jim's research and personal experience results in him, like me, believing there was no shielding as original equipment in '40. Not to say it would not or could not be retrofitted by an authorized repair depot.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 0:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 23 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved