Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1940 club coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
They are very dependable cars, and usually get you home even when you have troubles. I can only think of a couple of times when one of our Packards had to be towed home, both water pump issues.
Is your car equipped with overdrive?

I have not gotten a response yet from my friend who may have an extra door latch for you. I restored a couple of his for him, and I believe he had an extra or two. You'll probably have to retain your springs. New ones are available, though, if they're week. You can tell if they're week if your door handles droop, and now is the time to put nice tight ones in.

The springs are numbered DL18. I got mine from Joe Perro in Washington State. He can be reached at wrt@centurytel.net
Cost for me was $15 for 2, which included shipping.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 9:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thanks for the info West.
I sent the latch to Sandy in Tucson this morning, after talking to him. Hopefully, I'll have this problem resolved soon.
I took off the "Bail" (With your assistance) and center strip, also the hood handles for replating today. $300!
This plater does a great job for me though.
Next, I will do several side louvers. I think they can be removed individually if I remove the side trim. A couple are pretty loose. Are they stainless?
I spent the last 4 days detailing the paint. It looks just great. The car was restored in 1989-90. A very honest car. I love it!
Al

Attach file:

jpg  (77.00 KB)
4228_4ee18e365edca.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/12/8 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
PS:
Yes it has OD.
The guy I bought it from stated it might have a bad solenoid. Said it was not a mechanical problem. He apparently messed with it. That, more than likely is the source of the problem.
I have the manual and I will read up on that, after I sort the car out more and have some more time.
Not really sure if I can handle that though. The interior OD handle is pulled out and the fuse by the firewall disconnected for now.
Al

Posted on: 2011/12/8 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Solonoid's aren't cheap, but I think they're rebuildable. I don't know what it costs to rebuild, but I think a good one already to go costs about $250. Not the easiest thing to replace.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 15:26
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Al, I'm a local guy here AZ and am glad to see another Packard in town. You have a really nice looking car there. We have a very active Packard International region here in town and there are times we meet up at the Scottsdale Pavilions. I hope to meet up with you and see your car sometime.

Every effort you make to get your overdrive operational will pay off tenfold when you are cruising effortlessly across our high speed western freeway system. I added it to my '39 and will begin preparing the parts to install in my '40 over Christmas vacation.

Congratulations and welcome to Packard Info!

Jim

Posted on: 2011/12/10 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Al,

Re: Instrument Restoration
Bruce Abbott here n Portland (Tigard is suburb) does a great job and is a great guy, too. One of a very few craftsmen who have a young apprentice to carry on this work. The temp gauge on my 40 works great and so do the other instruments he restored from gas gauge to clock.

http://www.abbottinstrumentrestoration.com/

Joe

Posted on: 2011/12/10 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Al,
I have a couple latches from my 39 Six. I haven't yet looked at the parts list (at this website) to determine if they'd fit, but if so and if you are still looking let me know.

Posted on: 2011/12/10 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thank you 39.
I am interested. I sent my latch to Sandy in Tucson. I'll talk to him on Monday. Let me get back to you directly afterwards.
So much appreciated. Al 480-734-4545

Posted on: 2011/12/10 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
ALM, If you determine the solenoid is bad I have a working one from an R-9 that I would sell. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Posted on: 2011/12/11 9:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Hey thank you Jim.
Packard people are very nice; And so helpful too. This is great!
Please, let me know when you guys will be at the Pavillion.
As soon as I get mt door latch back from Sandy in Tucson (Next week), we'll be ready to roll.
Al

Posted on: 2011/12/12 22:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved