Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 35 »

Re: packards in tv and movies
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi Guscha,

Gut zu sehen, dass Du dem deutschem Vorurteil entsprichst
von Genauigkeit und Praezision!

Yes, Guscha, you are of course right, but I don't think
the average viewer is really up to speed on Packard models or year of production.

Alternatively, Mr. Smith was a time traveller!

Pat

Posted on: 2012/1/7 18:20
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Pat, if Mr. Smith would have used your fabulous Packard he had won!
And sorry for my nitpicking, I used your post to learn, who was Mr. Smith and came across this pettiness.

Quote:
...Gut zu sehen, dass Du dem deutschem Vorurteil entsprichst
von Genauigkeit und Praezision!...

?lann an cat ci?in bainne leis.

BTW Your German is great.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 18:45
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Smith ran in 28 with FDR as his running mate. FDR ran and won in 32.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 19:06
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This website, and particularly this thread, is like having a History Channel featuring Packards. So, I take it, the show was about the '32 election and the car was only 2 years newer than the setting. What's incredible to me is how you guys know his stuff just by eyeballing a picture of the side and rear of the car!

Posted on: 2012/1/8 3:47
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...What's incredible to me is how you guys know his stuff just by eyeballing a picture of the side and rear of the car!

Perhaps I should mention my Carl-Zeiss lenses.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.38 KB)
757_4f0997cf8b4d9.jpg 313X430 px

Posted on: 2012/1/8 8:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The Last Convertible is a great story and the author, Anton (Tony) Myrer, was also an exuberant and friendly guy. I picked up the book when I saw it in a window display in Aspen, CO in 1978 because of the cover illustration.

What a great read.

Tony wrote several novels with WWII backgrounds. I wrote to him after reading the this one and he wrote back, telling me how the title was chosen and finding the car that was the original "Empress." That name was why I dubbed my '40 convertible sedan The Duchess.

I sent him a picture from 1978 when the Duchess was tan and he sent me a long letter and a photo of himself sitting in the original Empress, a car in storage and a bit worn near him in Malden, NY. For the color of the car in the book, a friend, Lee, gave him Packard paint swatches and he picked Berkshire Green. When Today and Newsweek and others came around prior to the book announcement and wanted photos and footage, he scrambled to find another 1938 convertible and located one in New Holland PA in perfect condition that he was told originally belonged to Mrs. Meriwether Post, the cereal heiress.

We exchanged 3 letters in all, and a very long letter on the making of the mini-series. (Not a good experience for an author, and 3 directors each wanting to put their own spin on the story made the experience even less enjoyable.)

I highly recommend the novel and mini-series. I've looked off and on for the TV series and couldn't find a source, though occasionally on some Euro blogs I saw mention of it. Thank you, Guscha, for posting the link for ordering EDIT on Page 13 of this thread.

Tony passed away in 1996. Once an Eagle is also an excellent WWII story he wrote.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.05 KB)
1067_4f09b88049499.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.70 KB)
1067_4f09b88cedb16.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/8 10:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jack chute
See User information
I'm a recent addition to Packard info; and enjoyed this string. I read The Last Convertible years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it (being from NE didn't hurt). I didn't know there was a T.V. series. Sounds like it isn't easy to locate. QUESTION: I recently saw a photo of Buck Jones purportedly with a '33 Packard Special. With the possible exception of the hubs, this vehicle looked nothing like any Packard I've ever seen. Does anyknow if this is a fake or real, and where I might find info on the car if it is real? Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If it's the car I'm thinking of... it isn't a Packard. See if this is the car you saw. The headlight arrangement is very Pierce Arrow like.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Obviously it was a compliment to you Guscha!

Indeed the quiet cat gets the cream, and very nice it is too!

Posted on: 2012/1/8 13:16
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jack chute
See User information
Not sure how to migrate a picture into this site, but it is the Buck Jones car (shown with Jones) as the 16th pic in the link:

www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/lord-k-s-garage-100-star-ride?xg_s

Posted on: 2012/1/8 13:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved