Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Besides the instrument lights, there are a set of map lights on either side the control panel (see the 2 openings above the headlight switch, starter button, lighter, key, "cruise control" hand throttle) that come on if you twist the panel light control all the way to the right (the knob where the red overdrive light is). There's a light in the glove box attached to the clock. But I like your idea, Something in the back would be good, too.

Check out the Controls and Instruments section of the Owners Manual.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1940Packard160and180OwnersManual.pdf

Posted on: 2012/2/18 12:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Thanks. I have to fix the glove box light. We are about to reinstall the clock as well so that will be an opportunity to correct the lights there as well.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If you can fix it, please document what you did.
I tried to fix mine and couldn't.
The light works fine. The bulb lights when grounded in the clock holder for it, but it doesn't shut off. It's supposed to light when you open the glovebox door and go off when you close it. It has some beads inside and I tried to used some from a chair. Either I have too many in the cup (you can see them in the cup in this picture) and the light stays on all the time. Or too few, and it doesn't light at all.

I opened it up maybe 30 years ago and somewhere lots the ball bearings. I think they were corroded. But I should really buy some tiny ball bearings and see if I can get it to work again.

GLOVEBOX LIGHT: Got it to work with a combination of those tiny chain beads and the smallest ball bearings I could find at Ace Hardware. Trial and error, not much fun opening the fixture over and over, but the cup is about one-third full. Open the door, the light comes on. Close the door it goes off. Awesome.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.65 KB)
1067_4f402c75aaf91.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (36.60 KB)
1067_4f408ec7c9c64.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/18 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It originally had just one ball bearing. Did you try a larger ball?

Posted on: 2012/2/27 11:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Really? I will try that. I have a 5/16th that might fit in there. The reason I used lots of little ones because when I first opened it up in like 1975, a bunch of buckshot went flying all over the work bench. I put back as many as I could. At least that's what I remember. Memory "may" be failing me, however, when I decided to make it work, I used those beads and some ball bearings.

But I will try 1 ball bearing and edit this response.

Thanks, West.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
GLOVE BOX LIGHT: For the glove box light, 5/16th ball bearing is too large, so getting a 1/4" and 3/16th to try. Since it worked with tiny buckshot size ball bearings, I'll keep those.

TRAVEL COMPANION: 130# Rottweiler Sophie took her first ride in the Duchess last night. The condition: she had to wear protective boots. At first she walked on them on her tip toes, more like a Doberman, but soon she was comfortable in them, if it meant she could go for a ride. She did not try to pull them off as I thought she might. She did ask if the reflector stripes were really necessary.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.00 KB)
1067_4f4ce7f89eeec.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/2/28 9:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
nice i'll have to remember these for my boxers!

Posted on: 2012/2/28 11:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I need to remember those for my kids!

Posted on: 2012/2/28 14:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Wow! Just saw this thread. Very cool. I like your attitude about driving it, too. I think that's the way to go. Great job!

Posted on: 2012/2/28 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

GLOVEBOX LIGHT: Got it to work with a combination of those tiny chain beads and the smallest ball bearings I could find at Ace Hardware. Trial and error, not much fun opening the fixture over and over, but the cup is about one-third full. Open the door, the light comes on. Close the door it goes off. Awesome.

Glad you got it to work. Many of them won't. I had heard they're very hard to make to work, so you may have found the secret?

Posted on: 2012/2/29 13:07
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved