Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Alvin14, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: i have a huge 41, hearse ambulance?? 160 wheelbase
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
It's a '42, grill has horizontal side pieces, '41 had vertical pieces. I think it's a 282 but my Packard engine recognition skills are limited. Engine serial number locations have been identified in the Packard Engine Serial Number Reference in the Packard Literature and Manuals Section. Can't seem to open that at the moment but when you get in there, there are pic's of the engine number locations.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 16:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The significant visual clue on the engine is the starter motor, it's NOT a Super 8. And the number embossed into the cowl is not a vehicle number and is of no use in further identifying the vehicle, except to establish it as a 1942 model, and a late one at that.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
i ve had it for years,,, yes its very complete,, looks to be an easy repair,, what is it??? hearse?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:36
 Top  Print   

Re: i have a huge 41-42, hearse ambulance?? 160 wheelbase
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Junior dash plastic, senior steering wheel. I recall seeing a similar one (but a 41) in MI a few years ago

Posted on: 2012/4/2 20:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
the motor is (A)E 319,357(1)

head is 367635 date 1-13

i have pics,, but too tired to go get camara.. lol

what do you think this things worth???

Posted on: 2012/4/7 18:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
hope this works

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/7 18:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
i think the A and 1 are the stamp ends!!

so E 319,357

might have to rewrite books?

standard 8
1942 models:

300,001- 319,329 in one book 319,350 in another

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/7 19:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
here is the henny plate, that is was located on the passengerside seat floor board:

Resized Image

info i found from a fellow PAckard guy!!

So what we have is:

This car is a 2001A, or what would be a One Twenty if they were still using that nomenclature (by 1942 it was an Eight). The 20 means 20th Series, or 1942, while the 2001 signifies the Eight. The A suffix, probably derived from the word "ambulance," always meant a commercial version of the preceding chassis (until the 1956 Executive).

The serial is, as you noted, #724, as they started each year with -2001. The last 1942 Henney Packard Eight was -2804, making your car 80 units shy of the end for the year (or 81, depending on how you interpret the word "shy").

The last engine number was E 319 359, so your engine is even closer to the end. Reinforcing the observation that they didn't necessarily use chassis and engines in order, but pulled from stock. Most Henneyfolks use the body number as a reference to everything; that's on the Henney plate, found probably nailed to the floor under the passenger's heel. The Henney plate will also have the Henney model number, which you can expect to be something like 4294.

These numbers, incidentally, were furnished by Henney to the Ambulance Manufacturers Association at the time.

The embossed cowl number, the one some folks call the theftproof number, has no meaning for me. There are roster keepers who really groove on them, and The Packard Club can put you in touch with some of them (assuming that you are a member. If not, see me for details).

I'm going out on a limb here, however: I don't see "military" in that ambulance. For one thing, there's glass in the rear side doors, and they usually skipped that. For another, there's a clock, which the military never would have bought. Continuing: the marking on the glove box does not say TP 40 the way the military would have, it says TIRES: 40 LBS. The abbreviation "lbs" is not like the military anyway; they prefer the correct "lb." Finally, all the military Henneys I have ever seen from 1942 had extra cooling louvers on top of the bonnet, and a special ventilator cap on the roof, making the cars look like none other.

So my thinking is, this was a civilian ambulance, some rescue squad somewhere, or maybe a fire department.

You've undertaken a real project, and I commend you for it. There are plenty of Packard suppliers who can help; keep in touch.

Geo

Posted on: 2012/4/10 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Why have all the photos disappeared?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 21:15
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

68427vette
See User information
i think i added that last photo to teh album and everything went haywire.

link to all photos:

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/meatball427/1937%20Packard/1942%20Packard%20Hearse/

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/4/12 18:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved