Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Retrieved Build Slip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Well after I ran across a post on "build slips" and found out that the one for my '53 Clipper, if it still existed, would be on top of the glove box cabinet, I decided to go exploring. Sure enough I laid down on the passenger side of the floor and ran my left hand up and over the top of the cabinet and felt the thin, crisp, delicate slip of paper slide around in the 60 year old layer of dust. Carefully working it out from under one of the heat control cables, I was able to work my fingers up under an edge and slowly remove it. The tape that once held in place was long gone but had left its mark across the entire width of the slip. It was like discovering treasure and except for a water stain is in excellent condition, all in one piece with minor wrinkling. The numbers all match the ID plate as well as the paint codes. I couldn't find any option codes for the '53's listed on the site but using the ones that were mostly applicable to the 55's and 56's,I was able to pretty much establish what my car was supposed to be equipped with except I need some help with the following:

I didn't see "AT" which I assume would be the code for Automatic Transmission correct?

Also, there is a hand written "134" that I'm not sure of but thinking it might be the Key Code?

And finally the word "Green" which is hand written in script out to the side of the codes and a lone "07" over by the left border?

Now I'm wondering what method to use to preserve the slip and the best way to store it for protection? Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2012/7/20 19:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Retrieved Build Slip
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's a nice find. No suggestions on preservation but surely there is someone here who is an archivist.

According to the 24,25 and 54th RPO codes, AT is Ultramatic. Those RPO's are probably more accurate for yours than the 55-6 if there is still any questions.

Not sure about that being the key code unless there was only 3 numbers used then. My 56 keys have a letter P and 4 numerals on each key. The gas cap is 3 numerals but has an A prefix.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Congratulations on finding that slip intact.

To help decode these build slips/strips and compare availability between models, I've composed RPO charts from factory Trade Letters for a few Series/years, but have yet to find documentation for the 26th Series (1953).

Since the complement of equipment falls between that of the 25th and 54th Series, the 1952 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart and the 1954 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart should provide some help.

"AT" was the code for the original Ultramatic, through 1954 - until "GS" was added, late in the 54th Series run, for the Gear Start version. Oddly, "GS" carried over as the code for the Twin Ultramatic used with V8s.

I don't believe that key codes were recorded on the build slip that was left with the car, but I've seen them handwritten on the production records kept on file by the factory - based on some of the surviving examples for 56th Series.

Can't help with the other handwritten notes, but wonder if they might only be "in-plant" references.

Regarding preservation, I've safely stored a variety of literature in various types of Avery sheet protectors - including a "Secure Top" style with top flap that prevents odd-sized pieces from falling out. However, those might be awfully large for a build strip.

Regardless, I'd keep such a rare piece of paper out of the sunlight. Make some photocopies or scan and print to display with your car. You could also add text to the copy, spelling out what each codes means - similar to what member Randy Berger has done with the production record for at least one of his cars.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Key numbers were 4 digits as far back as the mid 30s and probably much earlier. I've never seen key #s on build slips though they are almost always on the Vehicle Unit Record Cards, and they were generally entered by the dealer on the invoice.

Congrats on finding the slip, first thing I'd do without trying anything else is take some good quality photographs of it. Laying it out flat on a scanner might be tempting but given how fragile the paper may be, I'd first try photographs.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 21:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved