Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 214

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Andrew Sinclair, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is this 400 worth $40,000?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
The seller is advertising this '56 400 as having less than 5,000 miles from new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-PACKARD-400-2-DOOR-SEDAN-/160852608258?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2573900502

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Is this 400 worth $40,000?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if this is the car from hemmings awhile back i believe it is correct.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe this is the car that sold at the Hershey car corral a few years ago for $65,000. If so, it was bought for the O'Quinn collection in TX which has since been largely disbanded after his unfortunate death. Randy Berger and I both looked at the car very carefully - it was impressive and perhaps Randy will have some more comments.

As to what it's worth, depends on what someone will pay for it, obviously it was worth $65K to the buyer that day.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Certainly is a nice car and appears to have been well protected. A good example of some observations in the past mentioning the foam rubber under the dash pad would dissolve or self destruct without any help. Guess Packard didn't expect it to last forever though.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
They repainted the mojave on a very nice ORIGINAL vehicle.
It's only original once. I thought they paid too much for it originally, but that is just my opinion.
The buyer sets the price. It WAS a very nice original car, which is what commanded the price.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Considering that new domestic top line cars easily top $50,000, $40,000 seems okay for a car that requires nothing.

The only setback is that it can't be used because the weather will destroy it. A reconditioned car is a better choice for the road because nothing is lost by driving it.

That car is a museum piece.

Of course I can't afford it

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
How do you put a price tag on desire?

I suppose if I had decided I wanted a '56 400, and wanted a car that was as close to new as humanly possible for a 60 year oldster, then, yes, I'd sit down with this guy and talk. And, one of the first questions I'd ask is how he determined it's value or asking price. Then, why the copper needed to be 'Freshened up'. Frankly, that lowers the value..a lot. A pristine, all original, 5000 mile car that i had to have...i'd be willing to pay for. But, for a car that has a glaring "Repair" (and let's call that repaint what it probably is), it's value to me drops immediately. Therefore, i'd have to ask myself some hard questions and reflect on the other 400's I'd been looking at.

I'm a 'Once and done' guy, so i do my research thoroughly, and pull the trigger on whatever it is I'm searching for with the intent of buying what i want, and buying the best..and then holding onto it for at least a long time, if not forever. As that *other* luxury make rightfully boasts, 'Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten". But that's only if there's enough awareness to prevent buyers remorse.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 22:01
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In the end unless the item is a must have buying sight unseen is a big problem. I never bought anything on Ebay for over $100.

However, if that car has been seeing weather it is entirely possible that the original paint started to fall off. I remember Turnquist's mint original 39 V-12. The car looked fantastic, but he never never took it out. It sat in his climate controlled garage which is where I saw it. He had a plaque in place of the front license plate stating the history of the car. The car was at the 53 CCCA grand classic, and is pictured in his book. Those are the only times I know of it ever being outside.

So for this case, I would have to make an appointment to see the darn thing, and if it sells beforehand, then okay.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 8:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved