Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1953 Paint Color
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Packard Paint X-Ref lists a 1953 two tone color as Sunset Red Metallic. Does anyone know what that is, or what shade it is?
The 'data plate' on the drivers door jam says the color code is 'R', but I find no info on any such color. Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 12:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Paint Color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Actually Sunset Red Metallic is a 1951-52 color. I am familiar with it because our original 1952 Mayfair was Sunset Red Metallic and Twilight Taupe Metallic, although to be honest I never did see the metallic in the Twilight Taupe which was a light tan. The red had a lot of gold in it and was a very deep red.
Look at these pics of a 51 Mayfair.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10159&forum=2

Posted on: 2012/8/9 13:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Thanks. I'm trying to determine what the 'orangish red' is on my Caribbean. Was hoping the 'sunset red' might be a match, but it's not--if it's a deep red. I'll keep trying.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
By any chance have you checked the top of the glove box for a build slip? Included among the option codes are paint and trim. Would be curious to see if it matches the 'data plate'.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 21:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did Caribbeans have special colors in 53 as they did in later years? There was a bright orange-red Caribbean in the L.A. area for many years. I believe it was always referred to in PI publications and shows as (owners name) 'famous' or sometimes 'incomparable' "Scarlet Lady".

Posted on: 2012/8/9 21:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I do have the build sheet from the top of the glove box, and it has the same code 'R'.

From what I can tell from the inside of the fuel filler door, the color does look like 'The Scarlet Lady". As I removed trim and undercoat, the original paint is the 'orange-red',
not red-red or maroon-red (Matador Maroon). I've had the fuel door "shot" by the local DuPont supplier, so I can use that formula if needed.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 12:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The only thing I can find is that the '53 Caribs were offered in four, standard, single-color, paint schemes:

Polaris Blue (Code C)
Gulf Green Metallic (Code J)
Matador Maroon Metallic (Code U)
Sahara Sand (Code W)

However, I've read that there were some special-ordered cars painted in Ivory (Code T) and Black (Code X) - again, single color.

Can't find anything about Code "R". Makes me wonder if this was some sort of special request.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 13:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't find anything about Code "R". Makes me wonder if this was some sort of special request.

"R" was the paint code Packard used to denote paint color when painting small runs of cars with proposed new colors to judge public reaction, as for example with the 1954 Carnation & Amythyst. There are a few other known colors similarly coded "R". That may have been particular to a particular era like the mid-50s, other eras might have used different identification methods.

Between at least 1936 and 1949 (22nd series) the paint code appeared on the Unit Vehicle Record Card, inserted in between the two portions of the vehicle number, for example 2252-F-2124 for Golden Green Metallic. I've reviewed several hundred of these surviving vehicle record cards, never seen a color code which wasn't a standard color, but another correspondent on this site has a collection of those cards and may have further information.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
From what found out was that PPg has metal plate with every paint that Packard did. If you have the code you can have your paint store call PPG and talk with the historical department. What they did for me was to give me the new formula for the original color

Posted on: 2012/8/11 19:43
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have the code you can have your paint store call PPG and talk with the historical department

If the paint code is indeed "R" I don't think that will work; as I noted above "R" was the code for special paint and thus could be any color Packard chose. In addition to the "R" code for Carnation & Amythyst, it was also the code for Golden Anniversary "gold" cars, and others.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 8:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved