Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 248

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Jump start question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Everyone,
In a prior post I mentioned jump starting another Packard both cars 6v, neg ground. We hooked up the jumpers while my car was running. Tried to start the other Packard and it would not turn over. We checked the clamps and still nothing. We let the cars sit for about 5 minutes, mine still running. Tried again and the other car fired right up.
I've jumped a few cars, but never experienced this. What was going on?
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Jump start question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually the correct procedure for jump starting is to hook up the cables with both motors off and let them sit for five minutes or more. Just like a jump pack. Too much amperage from a running vehicle can result in an explosion.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 7:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I do believe that all 6V Packards are Positive ground. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
When a battery is dead, and you hook up the jumper cables from the running vehicle, and try to start right away, you are asking the running vehicle (and the jumper cables) to charge the battery, and start the car at the same time. This is a big load on the charging system of the running car, and probably why the car would not start. After charging for a few minutes the 'dead' car started since not all the juice was being taken up by the dead battery.
You can also remove the dead batt from the circuit while starting, and then reconnect once the car is running.

The magazine skinned knuckles had an article on this recently that is probably clearer than what I tried to explain here.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 8:12
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ah - another reader of Skinned Knuckles. A recommended publication for the collectible auto owner.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don't we all subscribe to Skinned Knuckles?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks guys, like always, I learn something.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/14 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
My take on this question:

When jumping a 6 volt car, modern light weight, 12 volt jumper cables probably won't convey enough Amps to ctank the dead car.

Connect the cables + to +, - to - directly battery to battery and verify the polarity before connecting the final cable and be certain the jumper cables have the same color clamp on the same wire at both ends.

If you are using light duty jumper cables watch the temperature and don't burn a good paint job with a molten hot cable.

If the dead battery will take a charge and hold it, I see no problem of having the engine running on the good car as the generator is regulated and won't see any more load than normal.

The good battery will deliver 6 volts at the rated cranking Amps (1000 CCA?) and go lower if the dead battery is accepting the charge.

Sometimes a long dead battery will develope an internal short in one or more cells you should watch for this

You should be watchful of causing sparks anywhere near vented liquid filled car batteries as hydrogen is produced while charging and it can explode.

Here in Arizona where the temperature is 116 outside a battery will go from working fine to totally dead after a stop at the grocery store as I found out last sunday, with no warning.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/8/14 19:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved