Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Need a picture of fuel line routing
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

A4mech53
See User information
Hi guys im a new packard owner just picked up a 51 200 deluxe touring. The guy before me has the gas tank out and the fuel lines are all missing from the pump to the carb and tank to the pump. Does anyone have a picture on here of the correct routing from the tank to the pump and pump to the carb. Also was the fuel line from the tank to the engine bay a hard line or a flex line.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 18:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Need a picture of fuel line routing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original line was 5/16 steel tubing held in place by special clips along the left outside frame rail. Many now recommend using the copper-nickel or Cupronickel line since it bends and flares much easier. At the gas tank end it has an inverted flare nut threaded into the fitting on the tank. At the engine end, the tube angles up and stops just short of the fuel pump. Another fitting threads into a short length of hose which completes the run to the pump. Here is an illustration from the parts manual showing the general route and how it gets to the tank.

For the side run, Ross posted a photo illustrating another subject HERE. The photos also happen to show most of the gas line and how it makes the transition to top of frame very nicely. It appears that car might have used one or more shorter lengths of tubing available from the parts store to make the line.

The short turn up into the pump isn't illustrated well on either illustration or photo but perhaps someone else has a good view of that.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.54 KB)
209_5034250ead7b1.jpg 957X364 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 19:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

A4mech53
See User information
Thanks for the reply. That schematic Is what i was looking for i was looking in the service manual not the parts breakdown i will have to look through that. Also you wouldnt happen to know where the third line coming out of the glass filter goes i have a fitting and no line attached coming out the side of the bowl. I know one comes in and the other to the carb but unless thats a water or sediment drain and it is installed wrong sideways i cant see its purpose.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Welcome fellow 1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan owner.
The glass fuel filter assembly attaches right to the carburetor. Originally, there was a ceramic filter inside as mine does now. Some have gone to a paper element.

Here (hopefully) are a couple a pictures showing the set-up on my '51. In case you're wondering, the copper line that branches into two lines is the Marvel Mystery Oil injector.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.15 KB)
3087_503435dd8bf70.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (49.70 KB)
3087_503435f83a341.jpg 870X651 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:29
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A little confused as to what type filter you have that would have 3 lines -- unless if original it might be the Skinner filter Packard also sold. Apparently some of their models had some kind of sediment drain but no idea which one Packard used. Is yours an old or modern filter.

The optional filter used almost always was a Carter. Sometimes a dealer might use AC but both had a ceramic element in a glass bowl. Just an in and out. Jim shows that one and here is a photo showing a modern paper element type available from a vendor.

If the owner or dealer ordered the filter, the line and adapter from pump was removed from carb and screwed into the inlet side of filter. Outlet was via a nipple directly into the carb.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.37 KB)
209_503436695a961.jpg 173X204 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

A4mech53
See User information
I will take a picture of it i think im going to replace it with the paper filter style it looks pretty worn. Thanks for the help guys.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 7:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

A4mech53
See User information
Here is i picture of it. It has a drain on the bottom and then a line coming out the side any ideas what that would be for maybe a line going back to the pump??

Attach file:

jpg  (69.45 KB)
4829_5034e892a3db3.jpg 765X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/8/22 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember anything like it. Is there a brand name or any identifying info on it? Kind of looks like a cobbled up mess a previous owner might have done. Maybe it is semi modern and was supposed to have an air bleed and fuel return for an injection system? The orientation looks wrong for sure.

Maybe able to reuse it by removing the pipe nipple and whatever that silver thing is attached and put a plug in that location. The stem on the bottom looks like something someone tried to make a water dump with. If so you could leave it as is or remove and plug that too & turn the assembly 90 degrees. Would almost pass for original then.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For sure that is not a Packard piece.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 10:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Looks like a fuel filter/shut-off I had for an old Ford tractor.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 10:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved