Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ignition points
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. I am new to this site and I am in need of some assistance. I have just purchased a 1949 Deluxe and have a miss in the engine that I am trying to resolve. At this point I have installed new plugs, rotor and cap. Using the cross ref. info listed here, my parts guy is unable to locate a set of points for me. The car has the IGP Autolite distributor. The points that he did get me do not have the hole through the pivot point of the arm where the pin on the distributor plate goes through. The set of points in the car presently are Blue Streak, but there is no other identification marks on them. Where can I get a set of points? I also intend to replace wires, just haven't found a supplier here that sells bulk wire. Or if someone knows of a pre-made set that will work.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 8:14
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition points
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The point sets with the right angle arm and hole for the eccentric screw have been discontinued for some time but the set that replaces them, without the arm, is 100% functional.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I'm not sure I understand what you're telling me,so I've added a picture of the ones that don't fit. Where the arrow is pointing, the set that is in the car, this is a hole that the pin on the distributor plate goes through. This set does not have that hole and will not fit my distributor. Also the set in the car does not have a mounting screw hole at the back (behind the arrow). If needs be, I will remove them and take a picture to show the difference. Just might be a couple of days due to work.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.17 KB)
4917_5068b2e9c86ff.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/9/30 16:00

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Kanter has the fabric coated spark plug wires, and I imagine some of the regular vendors like Tucson Packards, Seattle Packards or Bill Hirsh etc probably do too.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
As far as the plug wires, I was going to try something. I'm a licensed gas fitter here and was going to check with a couple of local gas parts suppliers about wire. In an industrial setting, pilot burners have spark plugs. I was going to check and see if I could buy the wire and ends and make my own. Just haven't got there yet. I'm new to some of this, so I am trying to explore all options.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 16:24

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition to the usual Packard vendors, most any good auto parts store should be able to supply either wire in bulk and connectors, or a "universal" kit you can cut to fit.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I've had no luck with local vendors for bulk wire or the points that I need. I've just have not had any luck where I live. So I'm asking for help in finding a set of points that will fit. The wires I believe I can gat at a local natural gas parts supplier. I just haven't had the time to call.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 19:49

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pacdon
See User information
The last time I checked Dwight Heinmuller had both the points and the wires. I beleive he can be reached at Packard Parts.org

Posted on: 2012/9/30 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Be careful of buying ignition wire in an auto parts store. They sell the modern resistor wire which has a high resistance non-metallic conductor. These work fine on modern high voltage ignition sysems but they were not designed for the old Packard 6 volt coil system. Also be careful not to get resistor spark plugs, also not used back in the day. I use "Packard 440" wire which has a copper conductor and non-resistor spark plugs. Packard 440 was a high performance plug wire a half century ago. I think Restoration Supply in Escondido California has the copper conductor spark plug wires in various styles.

Posted on: 2012/9/30 23:25
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
You can get wires and connectors from narragansettreproductions.com

Posted on: 2012/10/1 6:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved