Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 81

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

AC compresser mount
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is a 55 Patty on ebay just now that is worth a look for all you AC fans. It is the tan and white one in Oregon. It is equipped with an older AC unit, and the belt drive is worth special note.

It is always an agony to find a third pulley to run air on these engines, and these folks neatly skipped the entire problem. Notice in photo #20 that the compressor is fixed on the right side of the water outlet and the power steering belt is brought up and over to run the compressor.

With this system no idlers or extra pulleys are needed, and the PS pump serves as the tensioner for the whole thing. Aside from parking maneuvers the PS belt has very little to do so I doubt if it is ever overstressed--especially since a new Sanden draws so little power compared to an old v-twin. Clever, out of the box thinking!

Posted on: 2012/11/18 16:40
 Top  Print   

Re: AC compresser mount
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That belt arrangement is simple but I don't think it is off the power steering. In the passenger side view it looks like it may be but in this view it looks like an idler is bolted on in front of thermostat outlet and pump is not in the same plane.

More interesting is it's a Frigiking unit. According to an aftermarket application chart published by Pop Science, FrigiKar corp, maker of Frigiking didn't offer hang on units for AMC and S-P cars. Obviously, they lied or someone was able to convert one quite nicely. It sure fits under that glovebox like it was made for the position but would have been nice to see more of a side view to judge the mount better.

It's also another aftermarket application using a Lehigh compressor. That's at least 4 or 5 we've seen with various units. Still begs the question why are replacement parts for Lehigh's so non existent for something that apparently was somewhat popular.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.96 KB)
209_50a95e6414e52.jpg 719X390 px

Posted on: 2012/11/18 17:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
IIRC, that Lehigh compressor was used in thousands of small grocery meat counter refrigeration units. That was the usual use, not automotive. But still, I've got a pretty good unit and the mount, but don't have a source for parts.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/11/18 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
In the FWIW dept. The parts car that I bought had the A.R.C. unit which is the Lehigh unit(the V-8) looking unit. I took the flat mounting bracket and the slide bracket to a machine metal fabricating outfit and they quoted me $135 to reproduce it.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 11:13
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I'd sell the Lehigh compressor and mount for $135.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/12/11 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
How much for just the mount????

Posted on: 2012/12/12 10:46
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The compressor seem as if it would still work, but only hooking it up would prove the theory.

Being from Aladambama, I know how much you need AC. The mount has been shotblasted and painted, so it's good to go. You can have it for $100 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/12/12 12:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved