Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I can't connect to this web site lately.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Hi

Sorry to post this question but here is my problem:

Two different computers at my house will not connect me to this web site.

I can search it and find it but as soon as I try to connect I get "sorry web site not found".

Both computers run Win 7. The second one I tried has never been on the Packardinfo web site.

I tried switching browsers from Chrome to Firefox to Explorer 8 but no go.

Both computers run on a wireless router through DSL.

I realize this web site is for Packard questions and not computer questions.

Jim in technology Hell

Posted on: 2012/11/19 10:38
 Top  Print   

Re: I can't connect to this web site lately.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might be something has messed up or changed your firewall or security settings. Two computers sounds like modem or router.

I use a Mac and Firefox and sometimes have a similar issue. I feel it is something between the ISP, my home router and the computer that's doing something screwy to the network protocol.

In my case it seems to happen more frequently if an item on a page is very slow in loading and I get impatient and click off to another site quickly. On Firefox there is a status bar on the bottom left side under bookmarks that shows what site it is currently waiting on. At any rate, many times if I click to the next site while that status has been showing "waiting for xxx" or "connecting to xxx" for several seconds, invariably whatever was holding the previous page messes something up. It's almost like it has a lock on the computer. I then get the message "Firefox can't find such and such a site" -- not only for Packardinfo but anything else I might try after the slow page. If I use the browser stop button on the slow page load first before clicking on another site, rarely have an issue.

Not sure if still the case but a couple of years ago when I started looking into why, some of the people on Mac forums said older Comcast back end stuff didn't play nice with some newer page elements. If so, maybe others use the same equipt. Now when it happens I generally reset my modem and router and then restart the the computer to let it clear out whatever is there. It then refreshes or acquires another IP address. Just doing a refresh of the IP address without resetting the modem usually doesn't do it.

Posted on: 2012/11/19 11:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Who is your ISP?

Sounds like they are not resolving DNS correctly, or your local router is not.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 18:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Still having the problem on two separate WIN-7 computers running through a Wi-Fi router.

It only blocks Packard info, nothing else.

I haven't had a chance to try one of the laptops on a different network.

The ISP used to be AT&T and they ditched me off to Yahoo and I keep my att.net email.

The ISP payment goes to a third, now fourth party. The wires were installed by Qwest now Century-Link, DSL service.

I can get on through my office Internet but I don't like to abuse their bandwidth.

The problem showed up after using free Internet in Las Vegas and I found some Malware in the computer. I don't know if it could re-direct the router. Some Port tunneling trick maybe.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/11/26 19:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
just reset your local router/modem. go back to default and start over on setting it up. thats where i would start.

i have 4 win 7 32/64 bit systems at home and they all get to packardinfo fine. it has to be your router if more then one computer is doing it for you.

i've had it in the past when i had a router going bad that it would just flip out and do things like that and sometimes it just gets flippy and i had to restore it from my backup. no rhyme or reason.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/11/26 21:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Also had problems for the past two days, now mysteriously this site is back online!

Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2012/11/29 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Just makes it better when it comes back on Shows how much we each need a daily shot of Packardinfo to make our day complete

Posted on: 2012/11/29 20:28
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
acolds Quote:
Just makes it better when it comes back on Shows how much we each need a daily shot of Packardinfo to make our day complete

Amen, brother!

Craig

Posted on: 2012/11/29 20:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The error message I got for the past two days was exactly the same I was getting from my home computers when I first posted here. I thought I had been selected for a beheading.

I am on from the office and the site is obviously back up, I haven't tried from home since the earlier blockage.

Whew

Jim

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved