Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

rosters
Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
I am purchasing a 1937 Super Eight formal sedan. Another site showing production numbers and pictures of the various models said there are four of these in existence, but I don't believe that can be correct. Any sources available that tell approximate numbers of surviving cars ?

Posted on: 2012/11/30 15:28
 Top  Print   

Re: rosters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's certainly a very low production volume model. The current PAC Membership directory for 1937 shows only 7 Formal Sedans on senior chassis, 3 on the Super Eight and 4 on the Twelve chassis. Not too surprising - it was a style that appealed to the very wealthy most of whom might be inclined to pick a Twelve over a Super Eight. Probably a few more exist outside the PAC membership but I'd be surprised if there were 10 on either chassis left.

As to how many were produced, Packard kept no such records or if they did they don't survive. But since the vehicle numbers are sequential, subtracting 201 from the second half of the vehicle number will tell you that vehicle's specific number and the highest number you find will tell you they made at least that many. There has been at least one statistical study of the 1937 Senior models where production numbers of individual body styles were projected based on a study of surviving the vehicle numbers. I'm peronally aware of a 1937 Twelve Formal sedan #276 thus we know at least 76 were built on the Twelve Chassis, I'd suspect the # for the Super Eight would be less but have no records of them.

What's your VN and thief-proof (cowl embossed number) please, if you're willing to share them with us?

Posted on: 2012/11/30 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day scheffner,
Again to PackardInfo. My advise in the Chatroom was that "Probably your best bet on numbers still in existence are the Roster Keepers for your model at PAC, PI or even CCCA." But maybe someone will come forward here with information?

And, when you purchase the '37 Super Eight Formal Sedan, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/11/30 16:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
Will try to get those numbers in the next day or two. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 16:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
I don't actually have the car here yet but what I have been able to locate are anti-theft no. 371198, vehicle number
1012-329, and serial number 401193A. The numbering methods are a little confusing. Mind looking at these and telling me what you can tell from them ?

Posted on: 2012/12/1 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing noteworthy about the thief-proof number, it's about 7/8s thru the number block for the 1937 Senior models, the highest number known to me is 399423.

401193A is not the serial number but is in the correct range for the engine or motor number for a 1937 Super eight. Some sources give the last 37 Super 8 motor number as 401336. The motor # should be stamped on the lower aluminum crankcase casting just below the cast iron cylinder bores, driver's side of the engine. It's not uncommon in more recent years for some states to use the motor number of an older vehicle as a vehicle number, though technically it is not. I forget the meaning of the suffix "A" on the motor number but no doubt someone else will remember.

The first 4 numbers of the vehicle number 1012-329 decodes as a 1937 Super 8, chassis type 1501 (134" wheelbase) with a 5-passenger formal sedan body. The second portion of the number is the sequential production number for the Super 8 formal sedan and shows that yours was the 229th built (329-100). So now we know that at least 229 were built, how many more than that remains unknown until a higher vehicle number surfaces.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 14:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
Thanks for sorting that out for me. One other thing on my mind was that after having driven the car I don't recall seeing any heater controls. Was the heater an option at the time ? Having been originally delivered in California it may not have had one.

Thanks again

Posted on: 2012/12/1 16:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're more than welcome, my pleasure.

Yes, heaters were optional as dealer-installed accessories and included both hot water and hot air (Kelch) types. I think you'll find a 37 and/or 38 accessory pamphlet in the Literature and Manual section of this site, you may find it good reading.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 20:33
 Top  Print   

Re:
Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
After 3 months, finally concluded the deal and have the car. Just added it to the roster.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 14:55
 Top  Print   

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
scheffner, for including your '37 Super Eight Formal Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 17:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved