Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 211

Bob J, R H, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

SPARE CARRIER LOCK KEY ETC.
Just popping in
Just popping in

PETROLEUM V NASBY
See User information
PETROLEUM V NASBY] 12:59 am: THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ENTERTAINING MY QUERY. I AM IN NEED OF A KEY FOR MY 1932 5P STANDARD COUPE SPARE
CARRIER LOCK. IT APPEARS TO BE A YALE LOCK. ALSO IS THE TRUNK KEYED SEPARATELY? I HAVE 3 KEYS : 1 FOR DOOR, 1 FOR BATTERY BOX AND ONE FOR IGNITION.
I AM ABOUT TO ATTACK A RECALCITRANT HAND BRAKE. ANY TIPS OR WARNINGS ARE APPRECIATED. THANKS AGAIN.........DICK
PETROLEUM V NASBY rang the bell

Posted on: 2012/12/3 1:07
 Top  Print   

Re: SPARE CARRIER LOCK KEY ETC.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day PETROLEUM V NASBY,
to PackardInfo. See you also posted your query in the Chatroom and "rang the bell". Unfortunately the Chatroom is little used, so unless someone is in there at the same time as you are, any queries there usually go unanswered. However with your query now posted here you should receive a response.

And I invite you to include your '32 5 Passenger Standard Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/12/3 2:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Have you seen a locksmith? They can make a key for a lock - I had this done for a sidemount lock, he viewed it as routine and cleaned and lubed the lock while he had it

Posted on: 2012/12/3 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, try a good locksmith, or with a little practice these locks aren't hard to pick.

As to the recalcitrant handbrake, it's probably a lack of lubrication of the pawl or just a collection of debris that has fallen into the well and cluttered up the ratchet and pawl. The top knob should unscrew; remove it and attach something with a proper thread to the rod end that you can use as a longer handle to work it up and down while spraying something like PB Blaster down the opening that the rod goes thru to the pawl. And use a pick with a strong vacuum to try to get the accumulated debris out of the well.

Notice in this factory photo how the hand brake well is open and allows debris to fall in; a little leather sheath enclosing the well, though not authentic, will prevent this.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.15 KB)
177_50bcdfce24437.jpg 876X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/12/3 10:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PETROLEUM V NASBY
See User information
Thank you for the information. The technique as described may well save me for another day. I will certainly register my car asap. Dick

Posted on: 2012/12/3 20:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved