Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Tongue" retainer at bottom of door glass run channel
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
My old door window glass run channels (the U-shaped material with mohair inside)have metal "tongue" pieces at the bottom that slide into openings in the metal U-channel that is welded inside the doors. I have lost some of those "tongues". They have two holes for riveting to the run channel. I suspect the run channel deteriorated, they fell off, went to the bottom of the doors, and then disappeared.

Should I try to fabricate replacements or is there an easier way to hold the run channel in place? Thanks.

Attach file:

doc Size: 580.00 KB; Hits: 70

Posted on: 2012/12/25 10:10
 Top  Print   

Re: "Tongue" retainer at bottom of door glass run channel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd vote for trying to duplicate what is there. It doesn't look too hard. Fastening might be an issue if the glass goes down that far. On later cars the brackets are a little different but same principle in holding the bottom of channel to the door and provide some adjustment.

I had all the pieces but instead of trying to re-rivet new channel to the old brackets, I used small flat head sheet metal screws. Even something threaded like two or three 2-56 screws or the like should work as well -- just an extra step securing the nuts.

I located the screws so they would fit between and sort of push aside the metal strips embedded in the rubber. Helped the process slightly by a little countersinking so the flat heads tended to burrow in and be buried deeper down in the felt and rubber. Glass didn't touch them and as of last report still holding.

Posted on: 2012/12/25 14:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, why not post your photos directly to your discussion thread instead of a link to a Word attachment? It is very easy to do. It would be easier for us to view your photos and some who are interested may not have the Word application.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/26 12:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Somehow I'm not able to copy/paste the picture or control-print the image onto the message. "Brain surgery is easy once one understands how to do it".

When I changed to Gmail earlier this year, I lost the knowledge of how to control-print images directly.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 9:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You have to save the images to your computer. From gmail you would right click on the image and do a "Save As". Once the pictures are on your computer then you can attach the to the Post here much like you did the Word documents you attached.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 10:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I still haven't got the hang of it. I'm having trouble right clicking and getting the "save as" option to show. If I could "save as", do I save it on my desktop? It is already saved as a Word document in my computer. Thanks, Jim.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 11:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved