Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wheel Bearing Seals
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
I am going through the brakes ect. on my 53 400, and as long as I have the drums off, I want to repack the rear wheel bearings. Is there a local source like NAPA for the inner and outer seals, didn't see anything on the X-ref.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 15:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel Bearing Seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard #384215 inner crosses to SKF 15176 and #446133 outer crosses to SKF 22390.

If those are the correct parts number seals needed for your car you can go to the SKF websitehttp://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/ Enter the SKF numbers in the part lookup to verify dimensions.

If they look correct, Napa uses those same SKF numbers under their own NOS (Napa Oil Seal) brand offerings.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Thanks Howard. But I'm not sure of the part number. My car is a 2652 400/Patrician and I'm not finding a part number for that series. Maybe I just don't know how to read the series reference correctly.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, sometimes Packard parts are confusing to look up since there is a combination of chassis and body numbers and you generally need to know both to find the proper part.

In your case the 2652 body is on the 2606 chassis.

In the parts manual you have to look at illustrations to find the part and note the group number the part is listed under. Seals are Gr 12.0315. Finding that item in the manual in listings for group 12, the parts for the 2606 chassis are 384215 for the inner seal and 446133 for the outer.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.41 KB)
209_510344679438e.jpg 805X236 px

jpg  (47.41 KB)
209_5103446f02c99.jpg 807X394 px

Posted on: 2013/1/25 21:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Once again thanks Howard. I'll make note of the chassis number for future reference and probably break down and buy a parts book.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 22:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
OK - Now that I ready to pull the axle out, the slide hammer I rented from Auto Zone is designed for flange type axles (the rental is free as long as I return it in 90 days). So I need some type of coupling to go from the axle shaft to the puller (Male 5/8-18). I know I won't find anything locally so I guess I'll have to order one from Grainer or McMaster Carr. Has anyone found another way, and if not, what is the thread size of the axle, so I can try to find an adapter. It appears to be 7/8 fine thread.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 15:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts manual says all 26th series axle nuts are 7/8-14 thread.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 17:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never needed a slide hammer to remove a rear axle. Some just took a couple of good tugs by hand; for others I used a piece of scrap 1/4" steel plate with a 1" hole over the axle end and retained by the nut and tapped with a hammer. But if you had such a plate and it was large enough you could drill a couple of holes for the flange on the slide hammer.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 17:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Owen, I thought I might be able to pull it without the slide hammer, however, the service manual says to use one and even has a picture of a nice young man in a white coat using one.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Phil53, it would be worth a try to firmly grab the axle end and give it a good tug. I have never used a slide hammer puller on these axles, but maybe I have had a bit of good luck.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/27 22:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved