Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 234

William Grosz, Ross, Don B, Trevor, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front Windshield
Just popping in
Just popping in

Flipper
See User information
Hello,

I hope there is someone who can help me. I own an 1947 Packard Clipper Six Custom Coupe, unfortunately the windhsield 2 parts is broken. So to get the car through technical control I need to buy new ones.

Does anybody know where I can buy those. For the shippment to Europe there is no problem a friend has an container in LA ready to get shipped to Europe.

THX

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Windshield
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no one has any good pieces or other suggestions, believe the rear window is slightly curved but isn't the windshield flat glass? If so, is there a possibility a glass shop over there can use your old as patterns and cut new ones out of the proper safety glass?

That is what many over here have done with side windows but unsure if any have done it on the windshield.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
That's exactly what I'm going to have done on my '49 and '50... new flat safety glass cut to fit using the existing glass as a pattern.

I think the windshields were the same 1941(Clipper style) through 1950.

Edit: Just checked the Parts Manual... same P/N 370168 1941-1950.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 14:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd check with your local auto glass shops first because as has been said, it's just plain old flat safety laminate plate glass and over here a shop could just cut a new piece using your old one as a pattern. But the original glass was no doubt a U.S. and not a metric standard thickness; as Luxembourg is on the metric system, there are several vendors who advertise in Hemmings who have the original patterns and can cut and ship the pieces to you. I'm guessing you don't have a subscription to Hemmings; when I have a few moments I'll find one of the ads and scan it here.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.11 KB)
177_511d3e2a497db.jpg 1280X253 px

Posted on: 2013/2/14 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's flat glass - a decent glass shop can make it (cut to size and polish the edges). It's not plate glass or tempered glass - it's laminated glass.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 16:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
bkazmer, the potential problem as I saw it is that Luxembourg is on the metric standard so it's unlikely the same thickness glass would be available there. Perhaps I'm wrong (again).

Posted on: 2013/2/14 16:23
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Flipper
See User information
Great Thanks to you all.

Yes that is a problem with the metric system. I found a body shop where they can cut new windows. But they ask about 600 ? (840$) for one side.

I thought perhaps in the US I could find a place to get those a little cheaper.

But if I have to ship first my windows to get new ones cut, I will continue looking over here.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
North American glass makers use mm also - so you can express it inches if you want, but... I have a major OE glass company as a customer.
The glass thickness need not be exact

Posted on: 2013/2/14 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Flipper, how about someone here getting the glass cut from their patterns and having them shipped to you? I have had good results with our local glass company with my 48 and 50 Packards. If this is something you are interested in send me a PM and we can discuss it. I'll check on the thickness to see if there would be any problem with the correct fit. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2013/2/14 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Just for reference, the thickness of an original 22nd Series windshield glass is 5.9 mm.
21st Series has the same part number so will be the same.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 20:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved