Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Low Gear
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
I have a '52 packard 300 sedan. I have been told that I should use " low gear " to begin my acceleration, particularly when starting on an uphill grade. Is there any merit to that suggestion?

Ron

Posted on: 2013/3/10 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Low Gear
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard never thought it was necessary to start in low unless it was a steep grade. Having said that, many people do start in low and shift to high for the quicker acceleration.

The regular Ultras were not designed for use that way so there is no regulated timing between the low - high shift. Both gears could overlap or be applied at the same time or high could be slow coming in so both released at the same time with high range clutch plates spinning against each other while they fully engage. If done under power and frequently enough, damage could occur. If you want to drive it that way let off the gas while the shift is being made and wait a second or two until high is fully engaged before accelerating again.

Packard did make an attempt at a sort of improved timing kit. It was made available in 54 for retrofit to earlier for those that wanted to use the trans that way. While it improved the situation, it still had issues. The first trans designed for low-high shift was the late 54 Gearstart and later Twin Ultras.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 20:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56 gives fine advice. The only times I'd ever start a traditional Ultramatic in Low range and shift to High under anything other than very light acceleration would be if quicker acceleration was absolutely imperative or if the upgrade was so steep (like REALLY steep) or that if High was unable to move the car, and I don't think most of us would ever encounter that situation unless we were for example in deep sand or mud.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Using low to accelerate takes about two seconds off the zero to 60 time according to the literature of the day.

The problem is the Low-High shift is a synchronous shift and I have known of people breaking the band that way.

Given the marginal difference I don't see much point except if a quick burst is required from a stop in traffic.

Packard speedometers were notoriously inaccurate. Most read too fast but some read too slow which must have made the Ultramatic seem like it was paddle wheeler.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 0:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved