Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 227

classiclincoln, BigKev, John Sauser, Tom (Packin31), humanpotatohybrid, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ebay Packard (1941)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Looks like the car was sold.

Didn't Packard make a spacer for the springs. Was this to help with sagging?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The only thing I've seen are lugs that were popular with used car dealers. They raise the car, but don't correct the lack of suspension travel. Turnquist used to sell springs I haven't checked lately as to who sells them now.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There were several sleezy ways to deal with sagging coils, the pad spacer between the coil and the lower A-frame pad was one and also spacers were available which you could insert in between the coils. Both raised the car, but as Tim says neither restored the ride quality and were methods for the used car shysters. Rear springs were a little easier to deal with on the cheap, just add a leaf. Again it raised the car but didn't necessarily restore the ride quality.

New springs, both front and rear, are available from Kanter and Eaton Spring, and probably others. I've never inquired in detail but I wonder if they're not "one size fits all"? Based on the particular chassis and body style, and with or without sidemounts for example, Packard had a multitude of springs for various configurations.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
My Clipper had spacers in the front coils. I had new ones installed from Max M. Max had them made from their supplier.
Wow, what a difference in ride and handling!
Mark

Posted on: 2013/3/22 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I will have to look, but I had some Packard spacers, that I got with a box of parts. One had a Packard part number, I had 2 different heights.

Have to look that up.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist3541/1935-41_PartsList_Group14_Springs.pdf

Group 14.010, page 285

So it must have been a common problem, if they made spacers.

EDIT:

Also listed in this one;

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Group_14.pdf

Page 256

Posted on: 2013/3/22 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Upon closer examination of my sweet girl the other day, I am now admitting that there is some visible sagging that I had not noticed before. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I guess that I might be a little naive to not expect a little sag on the front end after sixty plus years.

I still love her, sag 'n' all.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 18:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved