Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New wiring harness?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
The wiring on my 52 Packard 200 Deluxe is one step short of fossilized, so I figure I'd betetr replace it before it starts to exhibit regular mysterious electrical gremlins.

I want to to ensure that whatever wiring harness I get meets the following objectives:

1. Modern plastic insulation for durability (I'm not into strict restoration by ANY means, and I only want to have to do this rewiring ONCE)

2. Will be suitable for my conversion from 6 volt positive ground with generator to 12 volt negative ground with alternator

3. My car is a simple one (200 Deluxe model with manual everything, and I really, really like simplicity and want to KEEP it simple, BUT I will shortly be adding a modern air conditioning / heat /defrost unit, since I live in Texas, this car is my daily driver, and black cars on 100 degree days every day for a month are no fun. So, the wiring harness has to be able to handle this, including power to the AC compressor clutch and to a pusher fan to assist in making the condensor actually effective.

What brands and part numbers should I be looking at?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/5 10:52
 Top  Print 

Re: New wiring harness?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Since you are NOT looking for a resto harness, and you are converting to 12v, I would recommend just using an aftermarket GM style harness and fusebox combo. You can get an entire harness for less than $200 from places like EZ-Wire, Painless, etc. Also the GM style harnesses have almost the exact same wire colors as our Packard harnesses do. So under the hood where the wiring is visible, most of the colors will be exactly the same as the Packard wiring scheme.

I bought a 22 circuit harness because I am adding power windows, locks, AC, etc to my Packard, but keep as much of it hiden from view as possible. I bought Packard windows switches, but I will use a modern window motor setup instead of the hydraulic window setup they used in '54. But
you can find smaller circuit harnesses that will do just fine.

If you go to a modern harness, then you will have to swtich to 12v, as the wire size and rating in a modern harness is not sufficient to handle the higher amp load of a 6v system.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 11:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i wish there was a list of everything you needed to do when converting from 6v to 12v with a new harness..

Posted on: 2008/7/5 17:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Can anyone recommend an outlet for an original style harness for my 51 300? Would like to maintain an origional appearance.

Bob

Posted on: 2008/7/5 18:20
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While there's not an official list, if you search here on the forums it has come up several times and you will find a rough list of the general things that would need to be attended to. Off the top of my head here is a quick list:

1. 12v Solenoid (the starter is ok to leave as is)
2. Reverse the wires on the amp meter (if you have one) because of the change from + to - ground
3. Find a 12v generator/regulator from a 55/56 or use a modern Alternator. If you do the later, then you will need to fab up a lower bracket (see my Project Blog for details on that). Also can the remove the 6v regulator.
4. Replace all the bulbs with 12v version
5. you will either need a heavy duty 12v to 6v convertor to run the blower motor, or do as I did and get the 12v motor from a 55/56. Different blower housing, but the motors are interchangable.
6. You will also need 12v to 6v convertors for the dash gauges, the radio, and the clock. Those are pretty cheap to buy, and you could always just have the radio converted on the inside and add a solid state vibrator at that time.
7. You will also need a 12v coil, and a ballast resistor. Make sure you hook the coil up with the negative side connected to the distro.

Optional things:

8. Replace the horn relay with one from a 55/56.
9. Replace horns with one from a 55/56. The 6v horns will work, but will have a different tone on 12v.
10. Swap cig lighter element with the 55/56 element.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 20:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Thank-you, BigKev. That is a nice one-list summary for me to use!

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/5 22:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
I can recommend Rhode Island Wiring Service. Look at www.riwire.com. I ordered new headlight bucket wires for my convertible '51 and it looks and fits like the old ones.

Tom Wolt
The Netherlands

Posted on: 2008/7/6 11:24
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
TW: I just sent en email to Rhode Island Wire, but I am concerned that their price may be more than I can handle, as a preliminary look at their website price modules seems to indicate that a COMPLETE harness for my 52 Packard 200 Deluxe would cost order of magnitude $1000!

Unless I am misunderstanding their website content. . .

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/7 7:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jim, I don't think you misread the Rhode Island Wire prices. I replaced the wire harness on my 47 Super Clipper about 5 years ago with Rhode Island Wire and it came to about $1200 but I must say it was a quality product and an exact fit.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 7:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
Until now, I only ordered small parts. They were not to expensive.

And I am from Europe, the dollar is pretty cheap...

The quality of their products is very good.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/7/7 9:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved