Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 190

kevinpackard, Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Opinions on to Restore or Sell
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
This is tough for me to consider but I am wondering if I took on more than I can handle. This is my first "classic car" and I am thinking I may have taken on to much of a project for my first one. I am 25 and love cars since a child this is my first project and I am trying to decide if I should do the restoration or sell it, cut my losses, and save for a further restored car. I appreciate you opinions this is a new world to me and I know many folks on this great site have a great deal of knowledge and experience with these great cars!

Andy

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinions on to Restore or Sell
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Andy:

1941 Clipper is one of my favorite Packards, but you have to be realistic. Most of these cars are a "buy and die" propostiton. That is, you'll have it for life.

A situation like yours, I wouldn't worry about restoration. Spruce it up if you can and if you don't like it sell it.

For these cars it is probably more constructive to plunk down the cash for a nice original and spend the money to properly maintain it. I've seen dozens and dozens of nice original cars turned into junk by collectors. Cases that wouldn't have required any restoration.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
There are several things you should consider, privately, before selling any car in this level of condition - regardless of year/make/model.

Just how much more "disposable" income will you really have in the future? (I actually have less of that to work with now than I did 20 years ago.) Also, keep in mind that more prices go up, rather than down, over time, and that is further compounded as the general supply of parts - and, to a lesser extent, cars - continues to shrink.

Will some other "restored" example be restored correctly, or even to your specification? (I prefer to buy unrestored originals - even if in need of reasonable level of restoration.)

Also, thanks to the Great Recession, this is an especially bad time to sell.

When it comes to Packards, I only collect the V8 models, but since you're in it this far and have a place to store the car indoors, I suggest that you keep chipping away. A car that doesn't move under it's own power, and safely, is a hard sell.

Before you try cranking the engine over with the starter, pull the spark plugs and make sure the engine bars over freely. If so, drain the engine oil and drop and clean the oil pan before you refill. Also, give the wiring harness a good visual inspection, before you turn the key.

Then, go through the fuel system from stem to stern. Once you verify that it has the correct carb, rebuild kits are available from Daytona Parts Co.. Also, I donated scans of several original sheets for Carter carbs - including service procedure for WDO models as used on Clippers - for this site's Literature and Manuals archive; see the article on Carter Carburetor Service Sheets. I also donated a scan for the 1947 and prior Carter Fuel Pump Service Procedure which may be of help to you.

The ignition system should be pretty basic, but the archive also has a Ignition Service Training Manual that was written specifically for the 41-47 cars.

Once you get the engine running and have drained and refilled fluids for the rest of the running gear, you'll wanna go through the brakes - including hydraulics.

Then, you can evaluate the rest of the mechanicals and body to determine your next steps. As you continue to make progress, you can always revisit the notion of whether to sell or keep going.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Andy, I think BH gives excellent advice! Even if we knew such details as the funds you can make available for the project now and in the future, what level of restoration you ultimately want, your skills and devotion to the project, and the condition of the car, it would be impossible to say what's the right choice for you. But as BH suggests, get it in running and driving condition first and whatever you do, do it correctly so the money you spend adds to the value of the vehicle rather than doing it incorrectly and minimizing or eliminating the chances of recovering what you've invested in it, should you later decide to sell it as a project.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm biased but for many years have held on to my 47 version that is in far worse condition than your 41. Mine is in pieces so at least yours is intact and sitting on solid ground.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=120638#forumpost120638

Stupid on my part to spend more money on a basket case, but also have a soft spot for the style and just never wanted to part with it. Recently started working on mine again so misery loves company and I'd vote for you sticking with it.

You don't have to do a 100 point restoration -- I'm certainly not -- but just get it mechanically sound and presentable. After that, if you like the car you can do the picky stuff as you want to or can afford it. If you decide you want something else, it will be a lot easier to sell if it is in a decent condition.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I really appreciate the advice guys! Howard I have been watching your project unfold everyday you post! I appreciate the encouragement I get alot of discouraging comments from friends who are not so into cars. I really love the story behind my packard and the body style! I think everyone is right I need to just go slow take my time and do it right! I think I need to take it slow and I think getting it running and driving will make it worth it!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
First let me acknowledge your interest in this car, especially being of the next generation of Packard owners. I agree with what has been said above, that is, it will heavily weigh on your future, time, money and intent. You would never recover what it would cost to restore this car as a show car. But if you restore it for your pleasure, the investment of your time can result in a lifelong pleasure. (I bought my first Packard when I was 15, and still enjoy the hobby). Still, the restoration work will be costly - to get a rough estimate, price an engine kit, a rubber kit, a suspension kit, a brake kit, a wiring harness and a pile of money for chrome. Then double it for incidentals (machine shop, gas tank, radiator, exhaust, other parts, etc) Oh, lets add some interior and paintwork and you are either over the brink on funding, or it will just take that much longer. If you can't do much of the work yourself, SELL IT and save for a running/driving Packard.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Andy:

As I advised earlier, refer to "Henry's 55 Constellation." He shows how he has been restoring a car in worse shape than yours. Remember that this is going to be a long-term proposition, unless you have the dough to pay for a professional restoration. From my experience restoring a 1974 Alfa Romeo, the thing to keep in mind is that you tackle one or two things at a time, not everything at once. There are a lot of places to get parts reasonably priced, especially if you are willing to restore some of them yourself. In this case, you can often find pieces at Home Depot or Lowes or a NAPA parts store. The biggest problem about a job like this is becoming overwhelmed. Keeping things in perspective allows you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I agree with Tim Cole ... get it running first and figure out what you need to do to make it usable. That way you can get a better idea of what it needs and make restorations as you go along. Not knowing what you spent makes it hard for us to say whether it is better to cut your loses and sell it, but Owen and HH are right -- it is a whole lot easier to sell something that runs on its own power than advertise it as a tow-away.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:45
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Again I appreciate the advice and I think I need to look at it one project at a time. Looking at it as a whole it is kind of overwhelming! I will put it out there I paid $3,000 for the car and it was an impulse buy. I loved the way it looked and I had been wanting a project to work on and bring back to life for awhile. So 2 weeks later a flatbed was dropping it off in my driveway.I also thought it would be fun to do as much as possible my self and that way I know it was right an I would have a great connection with the car!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Well, as they say: "In for a penny, in for a pound ..." It will be hard to recoup that money on a 72-year-old car that does not run (at this time). If you wanted a project, you sure have one now! Maybe the best thing you can do now is relax, go through the car thoroughly, try to get the motor running again, and just get used to having it. There is a gentleman in the Mid-Atlantic Packard Club who owns an unrestored '41 Clipper that is a true delight and drives beautifully. He decided that he would not restore it and he enjoys his car just the way that it is. I see you already have the chrome off and it is riding on new tires. If i were in your shoes, as long as you have a garage and an understanding significant other (very important), you can take your time. You may have bought the car on impulse, but that does not mean that you have to sell it on impulse as well.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:14
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved