Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

two heads are better than one.
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
1948 Custom Eight : I have a funny knock. It started while out touring and I just pulled over and had AAA bring it to a garage. They say transmission but I think it is a clutch. If you start the car in neutral it's there. If you rev the engine it the knock gets faster with the motor. Put the clutch in an it goes away. Clutch? I was about to tear apart the drive shaft to see if it was the transmission, or rear end but any advice would be a lot faster. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/3 17:22
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: two heads are better than one.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I doubt that it's your tranny. Sounds more like a pressure plate finger hitting the throw out bearing or the lever...does the clutch still feel the same as it did before the noise started or do you feel a pulsation through the clutch pedal when applying foot pressure?

Posted on: 2013/5/3 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I would say no difference in the clutch pressure and when I drove it today I don't recall a pulsating in the pedal

Posted on: 2013/5/3 18:40
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
There is a possibility that the thrust bearing has worn to the point that the crankshaft is moving forward or backward excessively and allowing the flywheel or clutch assembly to hit somewhere on the back of the engine or inside the bell housing. I would pretty much rule out the tranny and the rearend and start by raising the car up evenly front and rear with a lift or by using a jack and jack stands and place the tranny in neutral. then remove the inspection cover that bolts to the lower bell housing and using the correctly sized socket and ratchet, start slowly turning the crankshaft and see if it makes any noise or comes in contact with something when you turn it by hand. If you can't duplicate the problem that way then fire it up and see if you can get it to do it by running it in neutral. If it does then try to locate the cause using a length of hose as a stethoscope.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Dam I don't want to hear that ! If I'm figuring this right that could mean a tota engine l rebuild right?

Posted on: 2013/5/4 6:02
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
It's all speculation at this point and anyones guess as to what it may be. Thrust bearing failure alone is highly uncommon and seldom occurs. It's hard for anyone to diagnose a noise without actually hearing it but since you stated that it goes away when you depress the clutch then all anyone can do is offer suggestions based on the symptoms. All you can do is start the process of elimination and report back with your findings.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
First things first. Disengage the overdrive and see if the noise changes.

Then buy a stethoisscope from NAPA and locate the likely area.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 18:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved