Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ernie Vitucci, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Packard 356 Engine/block needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Guys, I've got a 1940 Super 8 Henney Touring and we just found out that the block is cracked and unrepairable. I need either a 356 block, preferably with a '39 or '40 casting date, or a complete rebuilt/remanufactured engine. Anyone can help?

Posted on: 2008/7/10 13:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard 356 Engine/block needed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
WD:

There was a rebuilt 356 for sale on Ebay recently with no takers at $1700. Maybe it will work for you. Here is the link to the expired listing:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260257801113&rd=1

It says it is for a 1940-1950, but you'll have to check to see if would be a match for your vehicle.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:26
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
WD
I have a complete 1940 engine C xxxxxx C. If you are interested I will get the correct number from it. It is not rebuilt, but complete and turns free by hand. It would NOT be expensive.

Al K

Posted on: 2008/7/11 6:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
I would be interested in it. Do you know whether it had any issues causing it's removal? We need a good block. Where is it located and would you be willing to either crate it or attach it to a pallet for shipping? Price? We are in Oklahoma, alternatively I guess you probably have crating services in your area who would do it. Obviously crating/shipping my responsibility.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since you're in Oklahoma, I'd try David Baird, 573 651-4375. He's in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, a little closer than Al if Al's engine doesn't work out. I called him looking for a 9 main engine, and the only ones he had were 356's.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
WD.

Erics suggestion is a good one. Call the guy and see if he has what you want. I would hate to lose the sale but the goal here is to get you what you want/need quickly and cheaply. To that I am asking $250 for the engine. I got the engine as it sits in my garage and can supply pictures for you if you like. All I know about the engine is that it turns over by hand. I had a man inquire about it who was from Kansas and I checked with a local trucking company and they quoted me around $450 to truck it to Kansas. I would take it to the trucking company crated and ready to go. Just let me know.

Al K.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
I thought all of the 356 engines were 9 main bearing engines. If I get a 356, how do I verify it's a 9 main if they aren't all that way. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Al:

Could you get the engine number? I need to verify that your engine is not for a 120, but is instead for the 160 or the 180. Apparently they used different engines, they have different engine serial ranges. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have a 356 nine main engine. It's for a 48 I think. I will need to check the numbers. I'll be glad to check if you need. I also have a '40 356 block, but, it has damage from a thrown rod.
I'm Dave in Cape Girardeau.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
All 356 engines are 9 main. Not all 9 main engines are 356's. I believe Eric was looking for a 327 or 359 9 main, can't remember which.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 17:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved