Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electromatic clutch question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
So, silly me picked up a 48 Club Sedan recently. Couldn't resist.

My mechanic is going through it right now to bring it back to shape to put it on the road again.

One question has come up though. In a conversation he had with another Packard buddy a few years ago, the buddy made the comment that most people unhooked the electomatic clutch because they didn't work.

The one on this car is unhooked as well. This car also has overdrive.

I am thinking, and my mechanic is as well, that we should fix the Electromatic clutch.

What are ya'lls thoughts on that topic?

Thanks

Tinpan

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Electromatic clutch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Personally, if mine I would fix it just for the novelty and the fact I like gadgets. You can always turn it off if you don't want to use it. The post war system is not nearly as mechanically or electrically complicated as prewars so only a couple of more wires and switches and an extra piece or two of linkage.

The adjustments can be a little time consuming and require some patience and playing around back and forth to get things just right. Still not out of reach for the average mechanic or owner. Once in awhile they might need a touch up. The adjustment needs and a component being in the way when doing some service job are the probable reasons most got the boot -- not so much that there were any problems with them.

There is a training manual on the postwar units that might give you some more insight and help your decision.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchAndElectromaticClutch.pdf

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
I bought my 47 7-passenger tourer with a working electromatic. It was quite an interesting novelty when demonstrated to me.

Since commencing a complete mechanical restoration a few years ago, I've insisted that the electromatic, the overdrive, and everything else work as manufactured. In the process, I've gathered everything I could find about the clutch (virtually all of it from this website), and I've bought a number NOS replacement parts. Believe it or not, there seem to be ample parts available. This makes sense when you consider so many folks turned-off their electromatics.

So, I say, "Yes" to Tinpan and the Electromatic Clutch!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:08
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My '49 Electromatic was missing all the top end valve mechanism when I bought the car so I made the decision to remove what's left of it as time permits. If all the parts had been there, I would have definitely made a stab at restoring the function.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved