Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vacumb from the 327 for booster
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
oops I had A question ,
Ill be putting a booster for some disc brakes in the vent hole ,I have a 327 8 cylinder ,ill need some vacumb to run the booster ,has anyone thats done this swap have any vacumb sourse insights about where I could tap from?

Posted on: 2013/6/27 21:01
 Top  Print 

Re: vacumb from the 327 for booster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a port on the intake manifold just behind & below the carburetor. Believe it's 3/8 pipe. There is more than one manifold configuration. Early manifolds had a separate small port near the fuel pump for the wipers. IIRC, in later engines wiper connection was moved and when a car had power brakes there was a tee near the carb. The vac source headed to fuel pump and wipers was shared with brakes. You want the largest port for the brakes.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
im going to install the Edmunds dual 2 bbl intake i bought from Fred .I m rebuilding the engine and taking the opportunity to fit the booster in the driver vent hole while there is so much real estate in the engine compartment
I was guessing there might be a source at the base of one of the carbs or perhaps I have to tap into the manifold , I don't guess there was a need for vacuum to run a booster in 1952

Posted on: 2013/7/2 23:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Vacuum connections at carburetor bases are ported for distributor vacuum advance mechanisms and would be totally inadequate for supplying a vacuum power brake booster.

Vacuum booster brakes were pretty much missing from the automotive scene between 1939 or 1940 and 1952; the last Packard with power brakes prior to the Easamatic coming along in 1952 was the 1939 Twelve. So it's not surprising that a aftermarket intake from the 1952 period wouldn't be equipped with a vacuum takeoff for power brakes. Just drill and tap for an NPT thread and install a check valve and connect to your brake booster and reserve tank. You may also want drill a second port to feed the vacuum section of the fuel pump for your wipers, or alternatively insert a tee first before the check valve for the fuel pump and wipers.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 9:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thanks thats a great piece of advice ,
I would think the engine will develop enough vacumb to actuate the brakes if I tap in at the right place ,why did you say pull the vacumb for the wipers before the check valve? also I thought the gas pump makes some of the vacumb for the wipers and the pipe that goes to the intake manifold is for augmenting the vacumb for the wipers .
ill have to do some special plumbing with the hot water lines for the heater with the Edmunds too

Posted on: 2013/7/3 23:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The wipers runs primarily off the manifold vacuum which is augmented by the fuel pump booster only during periods of low manifold vacuum (when accelerating briskly). Manifold vacuum is essentially equal throughout the intake manifold so you don't need to find "the right place" to tap into, any convenient location should be OK. I don't see why the pick-up for the fuel pump vacuum booster couldn't come after the check valve but in normal installations it has it's own dedicated connection to the intake.

If the opportunity arises at a car show, take a look at a Hudson with Twin-H power to see how they did it.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 0:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hey this might be a dumb question ,but if I tap off the intake manifold to run a brake booster ,wouldn't the booster fill up with gasoline ? IE wouldn't the vacuum line be pulling mixture into the booster? ,is some sort of filter or trap useful?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 23:57
 Top  Print 

Re: vacuum from the 327 for booster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
No, vacuum "pulls" in the other direction - toward the engine.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 8:10
 Top  Print 

Re: vacuum from the 327 for booster
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
ah physics ,thank you !

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved